Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: 10 Gb, Dual-WAN, segmented home / home office Setup  (Read 18034 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: 10 Gb, Dual-WAN, segmented home / home office Setup
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »

I'm not aware of the criteria being so strict. I suspect Intel NICs are fine with pretty much anything. You should be fine with generic SFP+.

I have no recommendations. I'm using switches and a router to provide a 10G backbone with some 2.5GBase-T stuff spurring off that backbone.

The Netgear kit is likely to be more strict than the Intel card. Find a Netgear DAC that is confirmed to work then find a generic unbranded compatible one.  :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2020, 05:57:14 PM »

Will they be 1310/1550 nm & 1550/1310 nm or 1310/1490 nm & 1490/1310 nm ? (Presumably SC/PC connectors.)

None of those: 1270/1330 nm. LC connectors.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2020, 06:04:29 PM »

I can assure my fingers are decidedly average in size at most, if not on the small side in length and rather fat. Gecko fingers!

Thank you for posting the image. I note that the UF-RJ45-10G SFP+ interface, with an 8P8C female socket, looks just like an SFP equivalent. (Though I don't have one here, to create a similar photograph.)

Looking at an Adva SFP/GBE/1310S/SM/LC optic (the most convenient optic for me to measure), it is (approx) 13mm wide, 8mm high by 47mm deep. (They are the dimensions of the optic that fit into the host cage.) Positioning the optic on a human left-hand, in an attempt to emulate the subject of your photograph, I can measure a further 39mm from the end of the optic to the finger-tip.

So it appears, to me, that an SFP and an SFP+ interface/optic are virtually the same size.

None of those: 1270/1330 nm. LC connectors.

Noted, with thanks.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2020, 12:35:23 AM »

Oh I see. Physically the two are identically sized.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2020, 04:53:43 PM »

That accounts for my puzzlement with regards to the available space for either SC or LC connectors. (I'm only familiar with SFP optics, those with either one SC or two LC connectors.)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2020, 05:02:26 PM »

The BiDi optics are nothing more than a simplex LC connector rather than the duplex you'd usually see with a pair of fibres.

Either way I'll get it in place.

Replaced one of the Asus devices with Netgear. This is over WiFi:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2020, 05:17:58 PM »

The BiDi optics are nothing more than a simplex LC connector rather than the duplex you'd usually see with a pair of fibres.

Agreed.  :)

For fun, this is what I see --

[bcat ~]$ speedtest-cli --simple
Ping: 50.704 ms
Download: 4.19 Mbit/s
Upload: 1.01 Mbit/s
[bcat ~]$

The latency is no problem for my mode of operation and if I could have 5/5 Mbps (i.e. symmetric) then I'd be perfectly happy.

But now I am hijacking your thread.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2020, 01:08:50 AM »

Either way I'll get it in place.

Replaced one of the Asus devices with Netgear. This is over WiFi:

Oh that's not fair, I can't get that high download off the nanoHD from my NAS.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »

And in fact some gear can accept a 1 meg SFP in their SFP+ slots.  Some Nexus models for example.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2020, 05:41:13 PM »

And in fact some gear can accept a 1 meg SFP in their SFP+ slots.  Some Nexus models for example.

All SFP should be fine in an SFP+ slot. Backwards compatible.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2020, 05:45:26 PM »

"Should" maybe.  But one of our early servers has SFP+ slots that don't support 1 gig transceivers.  https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npid=3
I did try anyway but no joy.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2020, 06:12:27 PM »

Lockdowns by manufacturer based purely on software excepted, of course. That's a decision Cisco made to lock it down so that they can sell overpriced SFPs rather than people buying generic ones.  :)

The standards are backwards compatible but just as not all SFPs work in all hardware that supports SFPs so the same goes for SFP+ and SFPs into SFP+ slots.

That server could certainly support 1.25 Gbit transceivers if it's standards compliant, Cisco just saw fit not to allow them or didn't comply with standards.

Flash an SFP appropriately and it should work as long as the port is compliant. SFP+ slots should support 1.25 Gbit/s and 12.5 Gbit/s lanes.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2020, 02:01:11 PM »

Lockdowns by manufacturer based purely on software excepted, of course. That's a decision Cisco made to lock it down so that they can sell overpriced SFPs rather than people buying generic ones.

I'm not convinced that's the sole reason, for example that device doesn't support Cisco 1gig or 100Fx SFPs.  And in fact doesn't even support all of their 10gig options either.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »

I'm not convinced that's the sole reason, for example that device doesn't support Cisco 1gig or 100Fx SFPs.  And in fact doesn't even support all of their 10gig options either.

I am. Cisco made a decision not to support that stuff in their software. As long as it's standards compliant the interface itself is well documented.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2020, 04:17:41 PM »

Looking at SFP+ 10Gbit NICs on eBay/Amazon and it seems all the cheap ones either run hot or all the information I can find on them are people having problems getting them working.  :'(
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11