Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: 10 Gb, Dual-WAN, segmented home / home office Setup  (Read 18038 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: 10 Gb, Dual-WAN, segmented home / home office Setup
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »

This is extremely helpful stuff, many thanks for your write-ups.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2020, 11:40:50 PM »

I'll write up some more tomorrow.

I will probably get some fibre just in case, and will carry on my testing with this solution.

Should be able to give it more of a workout some time around Monday of next week.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2020, 11:57:17 PM »

Okay.

So temporarily I'm running with an Asus GT-AX11000 connected directly to my ONT.

This provides 802.11ac 2.4 GHz connectivity and 802.11ac/ax 5 GHz connectivity to the property.

It also connects via a dedicated 160 MHz 802.11ax bridge to the same type of device in the office.

That device goes via 2.5 Gbit Ethernet to a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S-IN switch.

Longer term I'm looking at getting 10 Gigabit Ethernet between Ubiquiti UDM Pro and another CRS305-1G-4S-IN which will then feed one of the GT-AX11000s via 2.5 Gbit Ethernet and then the office CRS305 via ultra-fine fibre, again at 10 Gbit.

Acquiring the fibre isn't the easiest thing but is a work in progress. The AX11000s can then do wireless AP downstairs and mesh AP upstairs duty  :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2020, 09:26:41 PM »

These wireless routers are garbage.

The 2.4-2.8 Gbit PHY speed translates to about 1/10th of that in actual throughput.

I was able to conduct a fair test and it failed it abysmally.

The wireless performance on 2 of the 3 radios is inferior to my previous 802.11ac device, even on ax clients, the other one claims huge PHY throughput but can't shift more than 280 Mbit/s sustained with occasional bursts to 320.

In short the 4x4 802.11ax radio in this device running with a 160 GHz bandwidth performs about the same as a 1x1 802.11ac radio connecting to an 80 MHz channel.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2020, 09:31:40 PM »

These wireless routers are garbage.

So that's another idea crossed of the list.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2020, 12:02:04 AM »

Fibre it is. The refund from the wireless should cover the necessary.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2020, 12:58:30 AM »

I should mention further testing provided confusing results.

Nearly saturating the gigabit port on the server uploading to it, seeing about 640 Mb/s downloading from it.

I can't exclude the VM and host as a cause of the bottleneck, however neither can I prove the wireless.

I will test it via Internet early next week.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2020, 08:55:51 PM »

The 2.4 GHz radio on this thing isn't great and the first 5 GHz radio is artificially attenuated.

So I thought I'd switch those off and replace with an 802.11ac device.

The Asus responded by dropping the point to point AX link from 160 MHz to 20 MHz even though there was no channel overlap.

So I've responded by returning one of the Asus tomorrow and the other one once its replacement arrives Tuesday.

Using my old router for right now. It delivers better performance than the Asus on 2.4 GHz and the first 5 GHz radio, replacing AX with AC has resulted in slightly lower throughput but more sustained and consistent - I can hit the same speed on my 300 Mbit consistently over the media bridge I can wired now.

Replacing with Netgear Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi 6 Router (RAX120) one at a time. Will test with to gauge performance to AC devices, then if it's okay will install a second one as the other half of the bridge.

Not going to chance the same wireless chipset used before - see if the 8x8:8 5 GHz will deliver. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2020, 12:00:21 AM »

As an aside another Mikrotik switch is on the way: needed to handle the fibre connection - 10GBase-T to switch then fibre to my home office and 2 SFP+ ports and a GigE port for whatever.

Will need single mode BiDi fibre SFP+ x 2. This isn't too inordinately expensive.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2020, 12:07:45 AM »

Will need single mode BiDi fibre SFP+ x 2. This isn't too inordinately expensive.  :)

Will they be 1310/1550 nm & 1550/1310 nm or 1310/1490 nm & 1490/1310 nm ? (Presumably SC/PC connectors.)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2020, 12:34:22 AM »

Has to be LC as SC/PC are too large to be used with an SFP+ - check the size of the SC connector compared to an SFP+ and remember that BiDi is literally a transceiver on one side of a bidirectional SFP+.

The wavelength doesn't really matter as long as it's the opposite on both sides  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2020, 12:49:56 AM »

I'm not familiar with SFP+ . . . have never handled one. And I automatically think of pairs of mono-directional fibres & connectors for LC. Quite wrong, of course.

The wavelength doesn't really matter as long as it's the opposite on both sides  :)

I was wondering if you had already made a decision, hence the query.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2020, 01:01:44 AM »

I can assure my fingers are decidedly average in size at most, if not on the small side in length and rather fat. Gecko fingers!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:44:02 AM by CarlT »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2020, 01:42:11 PM »

Happy days. 2 x OFS EZ-Bend Invisilight Fiber Optic Wiring WCC Kit 20 M Version 3 on the way.

1FT LC Male SC Female Duplex Singlemode 9/125 Fiber Optic Adapter Cable that I'll separate into 2 simplex on the way.

Once I've the delivery dates I can consider my choice of SFP. The Mikrotik switches happily take anything.

What a mission!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2020, 02:07:07 PM »

I'm seeing a lot of confusing information regarding SFP+ modules.

I'm thinking of moving from RJ45 in my NAS/Server to SFP+, to reduce heat and power consumption.

Is there anything important to think about as I constantly see people saying you need Intel specific SFP+ with Intel cards, Netgear ones for the Netgear Switch.  Is this just sellers guaranteeing support or are there major compatibility issues here?

If there are, how do you get an SFP+ DAC that will work between a Netgear Switch and Intel NIC?
Would you have a recommendation to look for regarding a NIC (doesn't have to be Intel) that doesn't cost the earth for optimal performance on Linux and is there a specific 10Gbit DAC I'd need or will they all simply be straight-through wired the same?

I'm kinda trying to decide if to go DAC or Fibre, as the latter would mean a surge from the router would at least be less likely to reach the NAS (though this should be a none-issue once I switch to FTTP) and I'm kinda concerned that I will end up breaking the DAC during routine cleaning of the NAS.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

anything