Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: 10 Gb, Dual-WAN, segmented home / home office Setup  (Read 18041 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: 10 Gb, Dual-WAN, segmented home / home office Setup
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2021, 10:57:09 PM »

Are the three ISPs IP-bonded (ie each individual flow is split across links) as I have it?

How are you getting on with the Netgear WAPs?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2021, 12:18:32 AM »

The ISPs are flow balanced. Every time a new flow is started source and destination IP and port are hashed mod 7. Remainder 0-2 go via BT, 3-5 Zen and 6 Faelix.

I'm using a Netgear router in AP mode and it's fine. It's an 802.11ax enabled AP and provides 700+ Mb/s wireless throughout much of the ground floor.

I'll be adding a couple of Aruba APs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2021, 01:14:31 AM »

From the little I’ve read on the Netgear, specs look impressive. I’m thinking about getting Aruba APs because my ZyXEL NWA-3560n 802.11n APs are over ten years old now, and will die at some point, but they have been superb.

The flow-hash method is a very sensible one, stateless and fast. You had to set up the modulo->interface assignments yourself ? Because the router doesn’t know the relative speeds of the links.

My FB2900 router splits single flows across interfaces in the correct split according to each link’s upstream speed and it (now) gets the upstream speeds from a message delivered to the river by the ISP at PPP connect-time (suffixed to the normal connect string as <downstream>/<upstream>) and this is multiplied by a fraction given the config file which converts the PPP-specified speed into a true IP PDU bps speed. If a link goes down then the router recalculates the split according to the remaining links’ speeds.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2021, 06:13:03 PM »

Assignments set manually though not stateless - new flows are assessed and marked. Once marked subsequent packets in the stream fall through the rules and hit the routing.

I could use an overlay but there's the small matter of needing something on the remote side to terminate it on. Using the same ISP for everything leaves a bunch of single points of failure so would have to be provider independent.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

anything