Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Many FECs. Circuit with G.Inp Active and an Interleave Depth of 4.  (Read 4959 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Many FECs. Circuit with G.Inp Active and an Interleave Depth of 4.
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2020, 02:58:45 PM »

Another question if I may :) Currently the modem is plugged in to a Tacima mains conditioner. The phone cable is direct from the master socket. Would there be any advantage to plugging the modem in to the CyberPower Sinewave UPS, which I believe also has efi filtering and additionally routing the modem cable via it? I haven’t so far in order to keep things as direct as possible, plus the Tacima is well reviewed. I know I could just try it, but I’m attempting to minimise the number of times I have to bring the connection down, so thought I’d seek opinion here first.

I doubt it will have any measurable advantage. Personally, I would not bother.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2020, 03:00:52 PM »

I haven’t tried something like this though https://www.bcedirect.co.uk/products/broadband-stabiliser-and-line-conditioner-faster-more-reliable-broadband-increase-broadband-speed-lower-broadband-dropouts as both the faceplate and zyxel modem are supposed to have built in filters. Worth a try?

Just to point out they are 2 very different types of filters.

The filter in the faceplate separates the voice and broadband.

The filter in the Zyxel is meant to filter interference from the broadband only.

The faceplate filter is necessary if you wish to use the landline for calls.

I wouldn't expect much of a difference (if any) using the UPS.
I bought a Tacima mains conditioner and it made no difference to the broadband.
I ended up connecting some expensive audio equipment to it instead.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

IBeAdam

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2020, 03:19:41 PM »

Thanks guys.

I’ll try the phone filter linked above, as it’s cheap and you never know.

I’ll leave everything else as is, makes it easier to detect if any improvement or not with the above.

IBeAdam

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »

Line was up for 6 days, that’s the longest in the last 6 months. The rewire at the top of the pole and cabinet check must have done something!

Went down overnight (reason 8000) and it appears noise margin reduced to 4, with a 2mbps down speed increase.

Finally took the opportunity to connect the inline filter/stabiliser so we’ll see if that helps. Attenuation appears to have stayed the same. Was getting around 100 million FECs overnight before. We’ll see tonight.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2020, 03:48:52 PM »

How's the line looking now?

I've always had thousands of FECs on my line, I just put it down to the line.

IBeAdam

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »

How's the line looking now?

I've always had thousands of FECs on my line, I just put it down to the line.
Long story!

Intermittent internet continued, with 1 - 2 drops daily. Cable from top of pole in to ground was determined to be faulty, but not faulty enough to give any priority to fixing it!

Then in the middle of lockdown (with my son home-schooling and me attempting to work from home and then go through redundancy process) the internet failed completely. It took 5 weeks to fix, although it as an easy issue - a break in the green cabinet. Why it took so long is beyond me, a string of excuses from OpenReach. Because internet was somewhat important I purchased a 4G router and monthly SIM just to tide me over.

After that fix it was back to daily drops as before, and would have continued to do so until OpenReach finally decide to actually fix it.

I gave up. Cancelled fixed line and now use the 4G router with EE unlimited SIM. I get significantly faster speeds and a reliable connection. I also save £20/month as a bonus.

Topic here https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,25106.0.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:00:11 PM by IBeAdam »

IBeAdam

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »

Ah, I see. A recently applied A1024 and nothing with an earlier date. The relevant phrase is --

"Renew block and tail."

The "block" is the pole-top point of connection for all the individual aerial drops. The "tail" is the multi-pair cable that runs down the pole, from the "block", and connects to the underground D-side cable (which then runs to the PCP).

As the date is relatively recent (June 15th, 2020) and due to the current global circumstances, your next step is to just be patient. Obviously if there is a total failure, i.e. you and your neighbours loose service, then service restoration by actioning the specified work would occur.
Me again :)

I’ve been happily using 4G and dumped my landline due to all the issues reported-
Line went faulty October 2019
Took many callouts (and two ISPs) still not fixed until around September 2020 when it died completely for 5 weeks!

It’s now Feb 2021, a mere 17 months since the fault was first reported. Still not fixed. The A1024 is still not done.

As I’m no longer being served by a fixed line, do I have any way to progress this fix?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2021, 09:43:36 PM »

Me again :)

I’ve been happily using 4G and dumped my landline due to all the issues reported-
Line went faulty October 2019
Took many callouts (and two ISPs) still not fixed until around September 2020 when it died completely for 5 weeks!

It’s now Feb 2021, a mere 17 months since the fault was first reported. Still not fixed. The A1024 is still not done.

As I’m no longer being served by a fixed line, do I have any way to progress this fix?

That does seem insane, I assume you still have landline phone and that is working?  If it is, then I'd suspect no, if its not then surely they are in deep trouble with Ofcom for not maintaining a working line?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

IBeAdam

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2021, 04:34:31 PM »

I still have a physical cable to the house, but no service of any kind.

Broadband is via 4G as is my phone line (via voip, number transferred).

I can’t go to my mobile provider to chase openreach (obviously) and they don’t appear to have any way of direct contact. I’m assuming the only way to chase the fix is to order a new line, which would be a pretty insane thing to do, knowing it faulty and that I’d no doubt have to prove it all over again.

Anyone from Openreach able to look up the tag and tell me priority/progress?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2021, 07:33:49 PM »

I highly doubt they will touch a dead line.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

IBeAdam

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2021, 06:13:08 PM »

That’s what I suspected.

Of course, it’s only a dead line because they wouldn’t fix it.

Luckily 4G still holding up well and has turned out to be a revolution.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2021, 09:44:44 PM »

I had terrible performance with Three 4G but switched to Voxi (Vodafone) and that works great.

My Plusnet line died yesterday, I hope I have better luck getting it fixed than you did.  It has a permanent crackling so hopeful it will.
Pages: 1 2 [3]