Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: slight anomaly in the line stats!  (Read 2239 times)

james_2k

slight anomaly in the line stats!
« on: July 08, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »

hi guys, just wondering if you could help me.

Basically last year we reported a fault on the line, which manifested itself by crackling on the phone and low snr on the upstream half on the router. at the time i didnt know it was only happening with the router plugged in, and even then only at random times. well bt put a cap on the line back then (without my knowledge) which has recently been removed by a really helpful engineer who came around fitted a filtered faceplate and checked the wiring in the house.

well that didnt really fix it but as the cap is removed and the new router i bought doesnt dc as much as the home hub, its verging on the acceptable!

the main question i have is that the ip profile was at 500 for a while (owing to the cap being placed at 576) and now it syncs at around 3600 with a 3000 ip profile. however it says the max throughput is 1900ish. which seems a bit low for the sync and ip profiles. (cant provide the actual btspeedtester copy for an hour or so as i just ran a test before i decided to ask here :)) up snr is currently around 11 @ 448 (when the noise hits it goes as low as 5 @ 64kbs) down snr is 10 @ 3616. i imagine bt increased the margin from yesterday because it was syncing at 4200 @ 6 yesterday :( and dmt tool doesn't seem to make a difference

also this random crackling is really quite annoying and doesn't just appear at night, seemingly completely random. it destroys the upstream snr and the router dynamically lowers the up sync to 64kbs at its worst. (the downstream doesn't seem to be affected) If you remove the router from the line, the crackle stops after 5 secs or so.

hope you can at least give me a few pointers and if you know how to reset the target noise margin bt imposes (maybe leave the router off for a while? )

thanks a bunch :)

*edit* seems dmt tool does work as without it the router syncs for a margin for 15! so thats rather high isnt it?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:55:01 PM by james_2k »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: slight anomaly in the line stats!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:22:43 PM »

Your connection is unstable, so the DLM process has increased your target noise margin to the maximum 15 dB to make it more stable. There's really no point in lowering it again until the instability is dealt with. If the crackling comes and goes and it happens with two different routers, then it looks very much like a line fault which was never fixed. As the crackling goes away when the router is disconnected, I think your only option is to report it as a fault to your ISP (not to BT telephones), and make sure that they understand that the fault is intermittent and exactly what happens.
  Eric

james_2k

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »

ive been trying to get it fixed for around 8 months now :) they are fully aware of the problem but nothing seems to happen.

the engineer who came over was a direct result of the renewed effort i made to get it finally fixed. so bt (my isp) do know.

i guess ill phone them again then :)

thanks for the help

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »

This may be of no use, but about 15 yrs ago I had a terrible crackly line, intermittent but appeard to be worse in very hot or wet weather. A BT engineer finally tracked it down to something corroded in the street box (is that the right terminology). It may be worth mentioning in passing.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »

>> thanks for the help

You're very gracious, as I didn't really give you much help. But I really can't see any alternative, frustrating though it is. :(
  Eric

james_2k

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:40:29 PM »

hehe every bit of info is useful :)

and thanks yorkie. sounds about right to me, after all they cleared the internal wiring. ill keep you updated anyway :)

(getting a pretty consistent 2 meg line though which is obviously far superior to the 512 i was stuck with (3pcs running off it = pain :)) - and all with a down attenuation of 56db. which i have read will barely let me get 1 meg.)

but if i can get 3 meg then ill keep pushing them :)

although

DG834G v4 = highly recommended, especially over the home hub
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:33:40 PM by james_2k »

anything