Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: jump in ping times  (Read 1302 times)

spaace

• Reg Member
jump in ping times
« on: January 22, 2020, 05:53:03 PM »

hi people, any info here would be great - understand probably nothing i can do about it but am interested how it happened

at the weekend my pings went up by about 5ms, nothing on the line changed in terms of DLM (i think). no disconnections for weeks, router still says it is on fast path (if interleaving i would expect a 8ms hike). so i thought maybe the routing from my village to my isp had changed, fair enough.

yesterday i was helping my neighbor with something and was on his wifi, tested his ping and it was how mine used to be, so i pinged the ip of my isp's first hop and he was pinging it again how mine used to be. How is it possible he can ping my ISP 5ms faster than me from another ISP and he is next door??

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: jump in ping times
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 07:20:35 PM »

Funnily enough, mine has gone up as of early this morning too, even weirder is its impacting both my lines from two different ISPs with completely different backhaul providers.

Usually its down to issues with too many customers on the same tunnel to the ISP.  Forcing PPP to reconnect (not the DSL, just the connection to the ISP) can show this, as it might not fix it first time but usually if you keep doing it eventually you will hit on a less loaded path to the ISP.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 09:50:03 PM »

Funnily enough, mine has gone up as of early this morning too, even weirder is its impacting both my lines from two different ISPs with completely different backhaul providers.

Usually its down to issues with too many customers on the same tunnel to the ISP.  Forcing PPP to reconnect (not the DSL, just the connection to the ISP) can show this, as it might not fix it first time but usually if you keep doing it eventually you will hit on a less loaded path to the ISP.

thanks, done a bunch of ppp reconnects and nothing :( it is odd that it is super stable and exactly 5ms more than before (13ms instead of 8ms)

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 09:51:33 PM »

Can you post line stats

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 10:21:36 PM »

Can you post line stats

pic attached, been up for about 6 hours. thanks

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 10:25:07 PM »

how absolutely bizarre, i was just about to show a ping that was running to show how stable the 13ms was and suddenly.... (slight spikes are probably Netflix running downstairs)

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 10:38:55 PM »

Sure it is related to the ISP may be maintenance or something, interleave would require dsl resync. and the router will show it is enabled so it is not enabled for sure. if you have neighbors with the same ISP check with them as your line is really fine.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 10:48:20 PM »

i'm on an isp called voicehost who we use for voip/fibre etc at work so get it free - seems really good. neighbours are on BT so thats why i thought it was strange they could ping a voicehost gateway lower than i could. thanks for taking the time to reply

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 10:59:32 PM »

You are welcome, so it looks like it is related to the way from gateway to you rather than the gateway itself. Hope someone can provide more help.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 11:08:33 PM »

I wonder if it is nothing more than the fact that devices can ignore an ICMP echo request when they are busy.

Basically ping requests are trivia and are at the bottom of the list of task importance.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 03:03:33 PM »

That's why I prefer to ping Google DNS or pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com, as they seem more consistent.  The latter I would suspect ping is prioritised as its what they run the TBB Latency Monitor from, though granted it doesn't guarantee it has the same priority when sending out pings itself, but at least the network up to that point will have ICMP as a priority.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 04:18:02 PM »

hi people, any info here would be great - understand probably nothing i can do about it but am interested how it happened

at the weekend my pings went up by about 5ms, nothing on the line changed in terms of DLM (i think). no disconnections for weeks, router still says it is on fast path (if interleaving i would expect a 8ms hike). so i thought maybe the routing from my village to my isp had changed, fair enough.

yesterday i was helping my neighbor with something and was on his wifi, tested his ping and it was how mine used to be, so i pinged the ip of my isp's first hop and he was pinging it again how mine used to be. How is it possible he can ping my ISP 5ms faster than me from another ISP and he is next door??

Fibre cut, line card failure or whatever triggered reroute on the BT Wholesale network carrying your traffic to your ISP's gateway. Neighbour's ping unaffected as not on the same ISP so different path across the BT Wholesale network.

You're welcome.  :)

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 08:35:09 AM »

makes sense, thanks :)