Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stupid Siri moan  (Read 7030 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Stupid Siri moan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 10:59:30 PM »

That’s especially not good as Picard did not say "compuderr" thus it ruins the authenticity of the thing.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 11:28:10 PM »

The thing is, its tuned to American

Siri can be set to quite a few variations of English... UK English,  American English, Australian, etc. Even Singapore and Indian English can be configured.   

These are distinct from the more restrictive language options for Siri’s own voice.   But for example you can speak to it in UK English and get answers with an American accent.

Are you sure there not similar options with Alexa?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »

Siri doesn’t speak various English dialects and can’t cope with say Glaswegian as lampooned in various YouTube videos iirc

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 12:32:42 AM »

Siri doesn’t speak various English dialects and can’t cope with say Glaswegian as lampooned in various YouTube videos iirc

Yes she/he does.  Open Settings, navigate to ‘Siri and search’.  Under ‘ask siri’, select ‘language’ although admittedly, Scottish English is not a specific option... UK is closest.

I have come across various comedy sketches that suggest Glaswegian is hard for speech recognition.   I get that it must be a challenge, as a Glaswegian trait is to not only add accents, but also to string words together, winaegapsinamong.

But speaking as a native Glaswegian myself, proud of my accent that many dim Southerners have always failed to comprehend, Siri does very well indeed with my requests. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 12:45:09 AM »

My mistake is to imply there’s only one variety of Glaswegian.

Maybe the designers of Siri did work on dialect mappings. I can’t imagine Siri coping with broad Orcadian say, but who knows?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 02:30:24 AM »

Siri can be set to quite a few variations of English... UK English,  American English, Australian, etc. Even Singapore and Indian English can be configured.   

These are distinct from the more restrictive language options for Siri’s own voice.   But for example you can speak to it in UK English and get answers with an American accent.

Are you sure there not similar options with Alexa?

I think it relies on you training it for your voice, which I'm reluctant to give Amazon that kind of data on me.  I would expect it to almost entirely prevent false triggers if done right though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything