Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPadOS/iPad Mini  (Read 2970 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
iPadOS/iPad Mini
« on: November 27, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »

Has anyone used the new iPadOS on the iPad Mini 5?

I am tempted to get one to replace my ageing Mini 2 and was just wondering how useable/good it is compared to the traditional iOS..

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: iPadOS/iPad Mini
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »

Other half replaced her Mini 2 with the latest Mini 5 a few months ago.    She plays a lot of games and some of them had become unstable, possibly because of RAM shortage.   The Mini 5 has fixed all that,  and has been rock solid.   She allowed it to update to 13, as far as I know, all is well.

That said, apart from a few specific games Apps that were crashing, the Mini 2 was also rock solid.

If the Mini 2 is acting up, running slow and/or crashing a lot then sure the Mini 5 is likely to be better.   Or if there’s some 13.x feature that you need, the Mini 5 will provide it.   But otherwise I’m not sure we’d have bothered. Mini 2 may be 6 years old, and stuck on iOS 12, but still a capable tablet, looks and feels pretty much identical to Mini 5.

Just my opinion. :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »

Thanks - yes, the Mini 2 must the best tech purchase I have ever made.

I appreciate the Mini 5 isn't that much of an advance - the only reason I am considering replacing it is that the screen cracked a few months ago - though I still use it on a daily basis - and there is a good deal on them at the moment.

They also don't follow Apple's annual refresh routine, so who knows when a new model will come out - though I could just continue to just use it with the cracked screen as I have been doing. The battery still gets me through a day.

For wider info - while John Lewis and Apple Stores are widely recommended for Apple products, its worth looking at Very as well. I wouldn't use them normally but they offer new customers 10% off on Apple products and sometimes have these very attractive cashback offers on Apple hardware.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 04:16:23 PM »

A slightly old thread now but does anyone know how the mini 5 battery life compares to the mini 2?

I saw a report saying that that the older models actually had better battery life which somewhat surprised me.

anything