Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Long distance  (Read 2495 times)

leveled

Long distance
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:19:53 PM »

I am thinking of try another modem router to replace My Netgear DG834G v3 which for some reason doesnt connect as fast as it did , I have seen recomendations for 2 wire 2700 HRG, Speedtouch 585 or Billion Bi pac5200 to improve my situation  Things have been fine for along time  with sync 1300 to 1400 and a speed of around 950 but now sync is down and speed is abysmal. I have been switching off at night as i had a child in the room and cant seem to recover
Which of these would be best for my long line Thank you

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Long distance
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:12:37 AM »

Before trying anything else - have you got the latest Netgear firmware - there was a recentish release which could be beneficial for long lines.

Has your speed dropped due to an increase in the Target SNR? 
The best indication of your target SNR is by looking at your line stats immediately after a reboot.

Yes, sometimes the routers you have mentioned can help, but in other cases the Netgear still performs well, particularly with the new firmware.
If I sound hesitant its only because I dont want you shelling out for a new router which may or may not help, if theres something else that can be tried first.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

leveled

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:09:41 AM »

System Up Time 00:05:16
Port    Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN    PPPoA    1378    1568    0    1161    4843    00:04:46
LAN    10M/100M    8879    10232    0    9881    6596    00:05:12
WLAN    11M/54M    0    0    0    0    0    00:05:02

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    736 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    63 db    15.5 db
Noise Margin    9 db    10 db

I have upgraded to 4.01.37 and these are my stats I am sure I could do better, Maybe I should leave it for a day or two,

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

Unfortunately you've got a very long line - 63 dB attenuation is in many cases the highest value which routers will report, so it could be even higher in reality. It looks as though your target noise margin has been increased to 9 dB in response to some instability in the connection, and this will at least partly account for the reduced connection speed.

Before you spend money on a new router you should do everything possible to make your own internal setup as good as it can be. Have a read of this and the associated pages, and see if any of the measures suggested improve your connection speed.
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »

the 63db is a big give away.

This is where you need an engineer to come out to either try and see if there's another cable with a lower line loss. or to check if you have an rf2 filter.

To explaing the rf2, it's normaly fitted if you get overhearing of radio transmissions during a normal phone conversations, parts of east anglia get radio 5 in the backround. the problem with an rf2 is it was designed before broadband existed and so it filters broadband out completly unless it's corroded or your very close to the exchange so the signal is able to blast it's way through.

To identifi an rf2 are there any small white connection blocks about the size of a box of matches, it will be straight sided so if the box has slightly curved sides then its an old normal conection box. If you were to take the cover off (carefull as if you were to detatch any wires inside then it is chargeable to have an engineer come and sort it) an rf2 will have rf2 printed inside (although any cabling can obscure this) the second way of identifing an rf2 is it will have 2 small black cylenders about 5mm in diameter and about 8mm high. if so get your isp to book an engineer to have this replaced with an rf3 (has one small black cube with a coil of copper wire inside) which does the same as an rf2 but lets broadband go straight through unhinderd.

The other type of filter is a 15a filter as used with older alarm systems, it comes in a block which looks like and is like a large bar of soap. inside theres a curciut board with a metal block and a few either black or orange coloured coils about 10mm in diameter, again call your isp.

Neither filter causes a charge so your wallet can relax

although about 19 times out of 20 if you do have such a block then it will be just a connection block

anything