Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Yet another Zen thread  (Read 2792 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Yet another Zen thread
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 11:46:54 AM »

So what do you make of what he said in that YouTube video?  I'm clearly missing the logistics of it, unless you mean they WILL use local data centres due to exchange space being too expensive and potentially not even being available at all (lack of space in smaller exchanges + Openreach ultimately closing them)..

Take the Cablelink feed, put it into a switch, rent some metro capacity from Virgin Media or A N Other and get the customers to a local colocation facility.

Alternatively Cablelink into a switch, that switch to another in an exchange where there's a handover, rinse and repeat until you get near a DC then rent metro capacity to the DC.

This is how Sky's network is built - daisy-chained switches in exchanges until within economical range of one of their PoPs.

No need to put anything in exchanges other than switches with 10 gigabit ports.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »

Alex they won't be in the exchange it would be where the isp has a POP.

Even if an isp has local POP's they may decide to only put caching servers in their London DC's.  e.g. I dont think sky use local POP's I think they just have a bunch of netflix caching servers hosted in london.

Some isp's if not large enough may not have any caching servers at all and it comes direct from the netflix CDN.

VM are a very big isp with their own national network so for them to put them in regional hub's is practical.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 02:04:57 PM »

Just to mention Sky are a large ISP with a national network and a number of PoPs acquired from Easynet. They have CDNs on-net all over the place.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 03:08:25 PM »

Take the Cablelink feed, put it into a switch, rent some metro capacity from Virgin Media or A N Other and get the customers to a local colocation facility.

Alternatively Cablelink into a switch, that switch to another in an exchange where there's a handover, rinse and repeat until you get near a DC then rent metro capacity to the DC.

This is how Sky's network is built - daisy-chained switches in exchanges until within economical range of one of their PoPs.

No need to put anything in exchanges other than switches with 10 gigabit ports.

Isn't that pretty much how I interpreted it?  It was Zen themselves saying possibly even in the exchange, which I assumed to mean only in extreme circumstances where they can't reach a DC and the exchange has capacity for it, which would be pretty rare.

They also specifically mentioned rolling their own metro nets in the presentation and having PoP in as many exchanges as possible, potentially all of them (seems more likely to happen due to Openreach closing/merging exchanges, can't see how/why they would do it in rural exchanges).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]