Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2020 - Best Broadcom VDSL modem for a Huawei cabinet?  (Read 8949 times)

tims20

2020 - Best Broadcom VDSL modem for a Huawei cabinet?
« on: January 21, 2020, 08:08:25 AM »

Hi there,

Have been following these forums for literally years but finally figured I should post and ask a question.

We've been trying to troubleshoot our FTTC connection for a while now as upstream speeds have been dropping over time and eventually realised that we're connected to a Huawei cabinet - which didn't seem to be playing nicely with our Vigor 130 modem's chipset possibly due to line length. 

With the Vigor we were seeing sync of around 31.8Mb/s down; 6.2Mb/s up but swapping to an elderly Broadcom based Asus DSL-AC68U bumped sync rates back up to 38Mb/s & 8.7Mb/s.  By playing around with DSL settings it seems possible to push speeds higher but at the expense of stability.
Much more interested in the upstream gains however as we upload a lot of photos (pro photographer) and run online backups etc.

Screengrab of current line stats attached - probably ought to add that this is after about 4 days of reconnecting every 7-8 hours on average!

What I'm hoping for is recommendations as to a rock solid modem for this connection.. I'm not 100% sure now if the line's stability issues are down to the DSL-AC68U generally being awful or something more fundamental as we're seeing it dropping/reconnecting every 7-8 hours along with an ever growing collection of CRC errors (10's of 1000's) while it's connected. Performance however seems fine so no idea if those are actual problems or if we need to be getting someone out to investigate some sort of physical fault (suggestions on that front more than welcome too!).   

In terms of a modem, guessing it needs to be Broadcom based but is there a more current "good" option other than the original Huawei OpenReach units or old Zyxel's? 

Thanks!!

mrk26

• Reg Member
Re: 2020 - Best Broadcom VDSL modem for a Huawei cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »

There is alot of info already on this forum, you will also find out that your current modem-router is worse possible option to use with FTTC connection. If you are on long line then probably zyxel VMG1312-B10A is your best option. You can also try newest zyxel XMG3927-B50A (if I good remember) with latest broadcom chipset good wifi etc. Also pined thread with several others modem-routers and different chipsets may give you some ideas, especially if you looking for modem-router with broadcom chipset.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 07:29:46 PM »

The Asus DSL-AC68U does not have a Broadcom DSL chip. Any apparent stability issues are probably due to the Asus.

tims20

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:38:56 PM »

There is alot of info already on this forum, you will also find out that your current modem-router is worse possible option to use with FTTC connection. If you are on long line then probably zyxel VMG1312-B10A is your best option. You can also try newest zyxel XMG3927-B50A (if I good remember) with latest broadcom chipset good wifi etc. Also pined thread with several others modem-routers and different chipsets may give you some ideas, especially if you looking for modem-router with broadcom chipset.

Thanks - that was why I posted. Updated it with the Asuswrt-merlin firmware this morning which has transformed it but could definitely do with finding a better option.

Suppose I’m a little astounded that there’s not really a better option than the B10A - will see if I can track down a B50A or failing that, hit EBay.

Thanks for your input!

tims20

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »

The Asus DSL-AC68U does not have a Broadcom DSL chip. Any apparent stability issues are probably due to the Asus.

Thanks - would explain one heck of a lot. Bought ours a good few years back. Seems they used to sell them on the strength of “Broadcom” chipset when that’s just for WiFi.. the DSL side is Mediatek. Ah well!

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 01:43:49 AM »

The best modem for VDSL2 is a Billion 8800NL (it has best broadcom chipset for FTTC) trust me cos I used this Billion for the last 5 years. Ebay does have it for £25 inc P&P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 06:47:00 AM »

The statement above does need qualifying. The original 8800NL was a champion among VDSL2 modem/routers, but it's not available now. The later R2 version employed a Broadcom budget DSL chip, and was Billion's budget model, and it wasn't rated highly at all. I don't know what version Max has.
  Eric

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »

The best modem for VDSL2 is a Billion 8800NL (it has best broadcom chipset for FTTC) trust me cos I used this Billion for the last 5 years. Ebay does have it for £25 inc P&P

I don't believe there is a single "best" VDSL modem. Everyone on here raves over the ZyXeL 1312-B10A - I found it WORSE than my two Huawei HG612's I've had for years and years.

There is a "best for your line" though - but we can't tell you what that is. I believe this is a case of experimentation, because every line is different.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 01:27:26 PM »

What's worse is as crosstalk changes, which modem is best can change too.  ???

When I first got the Zyxels they performed identical to the HG612s on my lines (though granted they don't have the filter of the 1312), but as my lines have deteriorated I found the HG612s now perform better.

Granted I'm on an ECI cabinet so my experience will be completely different to the Huawei.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »

What's worse is as crosstalk changes, which modem is best can change too.  ???

I've not heard that one - very interesting.

I probably ought to give the 1312 another go just to ensure my previous results were still connect. Wonder what I will do if my 612's die....
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 05:26:27 PM »

I've not heard that one - very interesting.

I probably ought to give the 1312 another go just to ensure my previous results were still connect. Wonder what I will do if my 612's die....

I was surprised, I'm guessing it was some specific interference that made the difference.

I mean obviously two modems syncing at full speed, its going to be near impossible to tell the difference.  But even once I started getting crosstalk I didn't notice any marked difference until recently when things took a dive even further.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 05:32:20 PM »

Crosstalk is nothing to do with different modem! Make no difference! But, my cabinet does have crosstalk reduced from 108320kbps (2014) to 90260kbps (2020) with PN 80/20 with Billion and Zyzel - make no difference

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »

Crosstalk is nothing to do with different modem! Make no difference! But, my cabinet does have crosstalk reduced from 108320kbps (2014) to 90260kbps (2020) with PN 80/20 with Billion and Zyzel - make no difference

I do not agree, modem sensitivity will differ so the bitloading could be drastically different between two modems.  What one modem considers too noisy, another might better differentiate and be able to cope.  How else would you account for a consistent difference between modems?

Granted modem firmware and even two identical modems could potentially differ, depending on component quality.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »

I do not agree, modem sensitivity will differ so the bitloading could be drastically different between two modems.  What one modem considers too noisy, another might better differentiate and be able to cope.  How else would you account for a consistent difference between modems?

Granted modem firmware and even two identical modems could potentially differ, depending on component quality.

Yup, for my line zte mediatek based router gives more attainable rate and really better line stats than a broadcom tp-link router.

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 10:47:56 AM »

Sorry old post but

Is this the same
Billion 8800NL R2 Wireless VDSL

Pages: [1] 2

anything