Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not one of my best days  (Read 1526 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Not one of my best days
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 11:22:52 PM »

The delay technology did exist in the 70s but it wasn’t always used, so I believe.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 11:51:59 PM »

The delay technology did exist in the 70s but it wasn’t always used, so I believe.

Of interest, what storage technology was used to implement the delay?   When RAM chips were specified not in gigabits, or even megabits or kilobits, but in bits, it seems unlikely that the storage buffer would have been digital.

Magnetic tape, maybe.  But assuming finite media resources that would maybe suggest an infinitely reusable  tape loop, was that possible, or reliable?

Curiously the only job on graduation that I didn’t get offered, but desperately wanted, was with BBC Engineering.   If only I had got the job, maybe I’d know the answers. :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 10:36:13 AM »

I was wondering the same. I just remember mentions of ‘the 5 second delay’ from that time. Maybe it was digital but then that would be a large unit. This was after all the decade during which CD was developed, a masterpiece of digital technology.

I remember tape loops. That would seem more likely. I remember seeing a U-Matic pro video recorder at work, monster beast.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 04:39:54 PM »

Magnetic tape, maybe.  But assuming finite media resources that would maybe suggest an infinitely reusable  tape loop, was that possible, or reliable?

Magnetic tape, in a loop, yes. Quite reliable and easily replaced, when required. Cost: minimal.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything