Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Switching ISP - does anything get PHYSICALLY changed?  (Read 2855 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Switching ISP - does anything get PHYSICALLY changed?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »

Hi

Thank you all, I'm going to call A&A tomorrow. Also interested in their VOIP solution as I'd rather have phone/internet with one provider, additionally BT is rather expensive if using them just for phone.

As an aside, today I re-wired everything (for the umpteenth time) adding a Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner and also my fourth modem (a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A).

As expected, no difference (3 drops today without warning) but the Zyxel does get a slightly higher rate sync, so I thing will work brilliantly on a non-fault line.

I think you have just approached it all from the wrong side.  If you are having issues with the dial tone and making calls it means there is a physical fault on your line which isn't uncommon.  You simply report the issue as a problem with making voice calls, they send out Openreach that will like just remake a few joints along the route and do some tests and likely resolve it very quickly.  Once that is fixed, so is your broadband.

I've had similar issues a few years ago with broadband, going up and down and syncing slow with errors through the roof, noticed crackles on the phone line, reported it as voice fault, that got fixed, and internet was all okay again. If I had reported it to my ISP as a broadband fault, I'd still be on my knees plugging things in and out of the test socket whilst I reboot the router for the millionth time.   :lol:

Regards

Phil

IBeAdam

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 02:17:21 PM »

Hi

I think you have just approached it all from the wrong side.  If you are having issues with the dial tone and making calls it means there is a physical fault on your line which isn't uncommon.  You simply report the issue as a problem with making voice calls, they send out Openreach that will like just remake a few joints along the route and do some tests and likely resolve it very quickly.  Once that is fixed, so is your broadband.

I've had similar issues a few years ago with broadband, going up and down and syncing slow with errors through the roof, noticed crackles on the phone line, reported it as voice fault, that got fixed, and internet was all okay again. If I had reported it to my ISP as a broadband fault, I'd still be on my knees plugging things in and out of the test socket whilst I reboot the router for the millionth time.   :lol:

Regards

Phil
Done that unfortunately.

My ISP (who also manage the phone line, so cannot approach BT directly) runs a line test, which comes back ok. They say as no fault found I would have to initiate an OpenReach engineer callout. In those circumstances I am liable for payment if no fault is found. Due to the intermittent nature this is quite likely. The change is not small. I ask what can be done to move forward on this - "live with it" is the response.

A&A seem far keener to follow through on fixing things, just so long as I've tried all reasonable things my side and am happy to work with them.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 04:45:06 PM »

Done that unfortunately.

My ISP (who also manage the phone line, so cannot approach BT directly) runs a line test, which comes back ok. They say as no fault found I would have to initiate an OpenReach engineer callout. In those circumstances I am liable for payment if no fault is found. Due to the intermittent nature this is quite likely. The change is not small. I ask what can be done to move forward on this - "live with it" is the response.

A&A seem far keener to follow through on fixing things, just so long as I've tried all reasonable things my side and am happy to work with them.

No matter which ISP you go via, that callout charge if no fault is found levied.  The difference is I'd expect A&A are less keen to pass it onto the customer if they are fairly certain themselves there IS a fault and Openreach missed it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:24:11 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

IBeAdam

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 04:48:41 PM »

No matter which ISP you go via, that callout charge if not fault is found levied.  The difference is I'd expect A&A are less keen to pass it onto the customer if they are fairly certain themselves there IS a fault and Openreach missed it.
That is my hope too.

I'm perfectly agreeable to paying if it turns out to be my fault, but for an engineer to call and simply test the local socket without bothering to check the exchange/cabinet/pole for an intermittent fault is not acceptable.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 06:00:17 PM »

I’m with AA and this time last year both lines I had at that time went haywire, having huge bursts of ES at certain times of the day. After going through AA’s problem determination checklist they got OR out, but despite OR being able to see the line deterioration no fault was found and both lines were declared good. The OR guy spent a good couple of hours investigating, but I was not charged.

It was several months later that I discovered the cause of the SHINE and was able to eliminate it myself (but don’t tell AA or OR   :no:).
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.
Pages: 1 [2]