Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Roadworks  (Read 2097 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Roadworks
« on: January 19, 2020, 01:01:49 PM »

Has roadworks.org changed things around quite a lot.   
I can see that the site now redirects to one.network but I seem to be having problems locating information since.

Over the past few months there have been several cases of a few A roads around here having roadworks, yet I seem to be unable to find any information about them on there.    From memory the old site used to be quite detailed and would even show very simple things on B roads.

For example I wasn't able to find any info about the following roadworks:
Last week -  'A' road near the exchange temporary traffic lights whilst they were digging up the middle of the road.
A couple of weeks ago - Temporary traffic lights on one of the main roads into town whilst they were digging a trench
About a month ago -  One side of the road closed off to traffic whilst men were what could have been laying fibre from a big black reel along the grass verge.

I notice it's enticing you to create a login.   Do we need to?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Roadworks
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »

Kitz some months ago I discovered this and yes you need to create a login if you wish to see dates beyond the current day. I did this and it works fine, has caused no problems. So seems quite safe.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 03:19:04 PM »

You can look at up to two weeks without logging in, otherwise I think the detail is the same.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »

You can look at up to two weeks without logging in, otherwise I think the detail is the same.

They may have changed it as I'm sure it was only the current day when I found it had changed. Two weeks is reasonable without a login, although login is no issue as it's free to register.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 04:34:33 PM »

It still seems to be two weeks here. I just tried it without signing in and it allowed two weeks but not three months.
  Eric

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 04:35:22 PM »

Not sure when it changed, but I registered on the 29 September, and you could view up to two weeks then without registering

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »

Not registered, and it's currently two weeks for me.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 11:17:25 PM »

I can now view 12 months in advance, but I still can't view anything before today despite registering. :/
What I do find strange is there still isn't a single roadwork planned in this town shown.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 11:43:01 PM »

I clearly must be doing something wrong, because if I use Blackpool Councils map here, I can see that there are lots of ongoing roadworks.

Yet none of those show for me on the one.network site.  I've tried tweaking settings but still cant get anything to show up.
I have no idea why I can't get it to display any of those roadworks...  and then moving on, I want it to show my area and not Blackpool town centre.

----------
ETA

Found the info I was looking for elsewhere.
"Multi-way signals. Traffic management to facilitate bt openreach fibre cabling works"
That should still be showing on one.network but isnt.
-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 06:11:29 AM »

Perhaps your area doesn't use one.network, not everywhere does.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 10:15:03 AM »

Thank you Ron - you just gave me the answer.  I wasn't aware of that as roadworks.org used to work fine. 

There seems to be a huge void in data for Lancashire to the west of the M6 and north of Greater Manchester. If I look at other areas such as Manchester or Merseyside then everything appears to display correctly.

No wonder I hadn't been able to find out any information for the past few months.   How rubbish is that when the relevant local authorities are supplying the data.  I wonder why - surely it wouldn't be in the local authorities interest not to supply them with the data when it is publicly available on the relevant council website.  :(
-----

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 07:18:50 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 07:33:54 AM »

Thanks.
Big blank white line practically all the way through for data providers in both Lancashire and Cumbria.

Wonder why they arent supplying data - they used to on the older roadworks.org site a few years ago.
-----

Postal

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 09:40:35 AM »

Thanks.
Big blank white line practically all the way through for data providers in both Lancashire and Cumbria.

Wonder why they arent supplying data - they used to on the older roadworks.org site a few years ago.

Given the savage cuts in local authority budgets over the last few years, someone's job probably disappeared and when the work was re-distributed the notifications either went down the leg-side or were written off as not core work.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 10:53:50 PM »

Just seen this about 15 mins ago... so I guess it's official that FTTP is on its way here. 
In view of the activity I was looking to find out who was doing the work as I didn't spot any names on vans...  so it looks like my suspicions are confirmed.
-----