Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT HomeHubs are now loan items  (Read 2221 times)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
BT HomeHubs are now loan items
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:03:05 AM »

I've just re-contracted my broadband with BT (yes, yes I know they're not the cheapest, but I'm quite restricted to who I can use where I live and I'm happy with their service) and noted this in their contract terms:

As of 13 December 2019, we own all BT Broadband Hubs (Hub 4, Smart Hub, Ultrafast Smart Hub and Smart Hub 2) and TV Boxes (Z4, G4 and G5) sent out to customers. Not applicable for Hubs and Wi-Fi Discs purchased outright.
-  When you replace hubs or boxes, or leave BT, please return those items to us. If the kit is not returned, you may be liable for a charge. Details of charging can be found on the Tariff Guide.
-  You have a total of 60 days to return your items and which includes the time taken for us to send out a jiffy bag.
-  If you prefer, you may also drop your items off in an EE store (see BT.com/returns for more details).

They tried to encourage me to take a SmartHub for £0.00 and probably hoped I wouldn't notice the £9.99 activation/postage fee being added to the bottom line, but I didn't fall for that one. The box I had to tick to turn it down said something like 'Please be aware that most non BT routers do not work on our broadband service'  :o
I'm glad they're now treating these as loan items, as hopefully far less of them will end up in landfill. I expect a lot less will end up on eBay too.
I still have a SmartHub in a cupboard, and I think a Hub 5 too, so if I have issues I can plug one into the line to stop them moaning about unsupported equipment. ;)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT HomeHubs are now loan items
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 12:21:59 PM »

I may be wrong or being cynical, but over the years there have been several ISPs who have seen modems as theirs and usually somewhere buried in the small print is a mention about returning them.    It is something they seldom seem to follow up on though especially if the modem is more than a year old. :/

Please be aware that most non BT routers do not work on our broadband service'

hmmmm  :-\ :hmm:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 01:30:09 PM »

@kitz, agree with what you say, and you certainly see plenty of Virgin Media kit appearing at car boot sales etc - and that is supposed to be owned by them.
Here is what BT have put in their tariff guide with respect to returning equipment:

'We'll supply a BT Home Hub to all customers taking BT Broadband, Superfast Fibre or Fibre 100/ 250 where the package includes it, or a new Hub is required for the service to work. This may be a new or reconditioned hub. BT customers who joined before 13.12.19, who request a replacement hub, may be supplied with a reconditioned hub. A reconditioned hub is one which has been reconditioned to an “as new” standard and is supplied with the same 12 month warranty that would apply to a brand new hub. When you end the BT Broadband service you must return the BT Hub that was loaned to you, within 60 days from the date the service is terminated. If you fail to do this then you’ll have to pay £43 for a Hub 4, £43 for a Smart Hub or £50 for a Smart Hub 2'.

As for saying that non BT kit won't work, I'd imagine if questioned they'd say that they were referring to routers supplied by other ISPs, which are often locked down in one way or another.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 04:57:13 PM »

If the hub remains the property of BT, what's the 12 month warranty about? Who's responsibility is it for fixing it if it breaks after 12 months?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 05:17:14 PM »

Never been a customer myself, but from friend's/relation's experiences, it seems BT often send a new router FOC as an initial diagnosis attempt.
Perhaps part of the reason their broadband is more expensive than most.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

atkinsong

• Reg Member
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 10:24:55 PM »

Sounds like maybe just an accounting exploit?    If the company can demonstrate that it takes measures to enforce its ‘ownership’ of such devices maybe it can continue list them on the balance sheet as ‘assets’.  This would release a pile of imaginary but legal cash to be spent elsewhere, whether it be shareholder dividends, or free ice cream in the staff canteen.

If the hub remains the property of BT, what's the 12 month warranty about? Who's responsibility is it for fixing it if it breaks after 12 months?

Not necessarily a problem.   The T&C could easily be worded by clever lawyers, to clarify that whilst BT lends the customer a router, it may not always be a working one.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 02:09:51 PM »

They did confirm the 12 month warranty was a mistake, they will replace any faulty device within the contract.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 05:15:26 PM »

exactly my thought also, they cannot have it both ways.

anything