Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What has happened to this cabinet.  (Read 2931 times)

enginerd

• Just arrived
What has happened to this cabinet.
« on: January 17, 2020, 09:33:22 PM »

Over the last few days there has been these random pieces of green metal left at the side of our DSLAM cabinet, they've been there for days and are still there now I think they've forgotten them, whilst looking at that I noticed our cabinet seems to have some sort of extension added to it, my sync speed has shot up by 10 Mbs from when they started working on it. Does anybody know what work this is and who I can report the sheet metal too as it's been there nearly a week. Photo of cab before and after

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10aW3zzTC8SAG_aVhj-qQYYnCOm9Uh5wn/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10bOhg43SXsX3p0Xut9JnlEbtgc2MVHJ5/view?usp=drivesdk

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:38:51 PM by enginerd »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: What has happened to this cabinet.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 10:29:46 PM »

I might be wrong, but perhaps it's an ECI cabinet that's morphed into a Huawei cab?

Do you have before and after line stats?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 10:33:04 PM »

I have not previously seen that type of ECI equipped cabinet extension.

The cabinet, in its original state, would have been equipped with ECI electronics. I wonder, could that be one of the trial cabinets which has had the ECI M41 DSLAM replaced with a Huawei MA503T?  :-\

As for the apparently abandoned metalwork, perhaps use the "When to Get in Touch With Openreach" page and scroll down to the left-clickable link at the head of the section --

You can contact us:

* If we've been working in your area and left a mess in the street that we should have cleared up, or we haven’t put things back as they were
   * about the behaviour of an Openreach employee or someone working on our behalf
   * if you want to report dangerous driving by one of our engineers or parking problems due to one of our vans (it would help if you have the vehicle’s registration number)
   * if you want to object to the location of a street cabinet we’ve recently installed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:35:33 PM »

I might be wrong, but perhaps it's an ECI cabinet that's morphed into a Huawei cab?

We've both had the same thought.  :)

enginerd

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 11:10:58 PM »

Do you have before and after line stats?

Unfortunately not but I have plugged my old HG612 in and can see it is reporting it's vendor I'Ds as BDCM now before it was IFTN. It appears as my cab is a Huawei one now? My ping time as shot down and max attainable rate has jumped up massively previously in over three years all I could get was 56Mbs now it is locked on to 79Mbs. On Further observation all of the cabs in my town seem to be having this done to them

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 11:14:14 PM »

. . . I have plugged my old HG612 in and can see it is reporting it's vendor I'Ds as BDCM now before it was IFTN. It appears as my cab is a Huawei one now?

According to the line-card chip-set, yes, that does appear to be the case.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 11:49:55 PM »

I hope this is rolled out to all ECI cabs.  Fingers crossed but I suspect I will be disappointed.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 08:39:52 AM »

Unfortunately not but I have plugged my old HG612 in and can see it is reporting it's vendor I'Ds as BDCM now before it was IFTN. It appears as my cab is a Huawei one now? My ping time as shot down and max attainable rate has jumped up massively previously in over three years all I could get was 56Mbs now it is locked on to 79Mbs. On Further observation all of the cabs in my town seem to be having this done to them

Has the cabinet been changed for long? Just wondering if dBx has kicked in already and that would account for such a big increase, you can see from your HG612 what the SNR is.

Lets hope the trial does lead to a nationwide rollout, although with FTTP now being installed I think it unlikely. Here they are supposed to be currently installing FTTP, so I couldn't see the point of changing the ECI cabs hardware.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:42:17 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 01:50:47 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »

I point the gentleman to my slides at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ILPWLpi_5X5mVaRKSdo88MVpE-ED0lO7/view?usp=drivesdk

Unless I am so incredibly dense, today, I cannot see how the contents of your slide-set (previously seen) relate to the modification of the cabinet metalwork and the substitution of the ECI electronics with that manufactured by Huawei.  :-\

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 06:43:36 PM »

I also couldn't see the relevance of the slides. :no:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 07:10:07 PM »

You can't subtend FTTP with ECI kit. The point of referencing the slides was to remind that subtending is a thing and cabinets have their place in FTTP.

Upgrade backhaul board for 10G, controller card to allow DSLAM and OLT, insert PON card, you have FTTP without delivering new spine fibre.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:15:04 PM by CarlT »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 07:37:27 PM »

You can't subtend FTTP with ECI kit. The point of referencing the slides was to remind that subtending is a thing and cabinets have their place in FTTP.

Upgrade backhaul board for 10G, controller card to allow DSLAM and OLT, insert PON card, you have FTTP without delivering new spine fibre.

Why do that only in certain areas, based on number of premises and thus how much capacity you need?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 08:31:41 PM »

SHE (Subtended Head End) is indeed a 'thang', and is the preferred method of roll-out in far-reaching areas where spine capacity is an issue.

It is not a straightforward fix and there's a list as long as your arm of 'criteria' to be met', before this solution (X2 solution) will be deployed. Of course, costing is top of the list .... but THP, power availability, Exchange chassis, etc ... are but a small part of the considerations.

However, simply put .... a SHE can provide feeds to 1024 premises from just 4 fibres. A massive 'assist' in the FTTP deployment plan, IMHO.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 08:34:02 PM »

2 extra fibres are required for each 16-port card within the DSLAM's, Carl.  :)
Pages: [1] 2