Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG1312-B10A or ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A  (Read 1010 times)

villanut

Zyxel VMG1312-B10A or ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
« on: January 17, 2020, 12:14:06 PM »

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to replace my Draytek Vigor 130 as it disconnects every few weeks and my speeds have dropped.

My cabinet is a huawei and I'm on BT infinity,as the title of the thread says I'd like to know which is the better choice of the two as I've read on the forum that Zyxel is  a good choice for a Broadcom cabinet.

It would be used in bridge mode to a Asus Ac68u,both are cheap on Ebay the 8924 the cheaper one but I can't find out which is the better model.

Also any advice on set up would be appreciated,inclusing getting line stats with one cable connected to the router.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Zyxel VMG1312-B10A or ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 01:15:13 PM »

Hi

Either is fine really but the 1312-B10A might be better if you are just having it in bridge mode, probably less of a power draw overall.

However your disconnections are likely not caused by the modem but external, and a drop every week or so is not unusual and that in itself shouldn't reduce your speed.  True a better modem might ride over the problems whereas the current one isn't.  It really is a bit of a black art xDSL. 

Things to check are if you around when the line drops can you hear noise on the line indicating a bad connection somewhere which you could ask BT to fix?

Regards

Phil

villanut

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 01:25:21 PM »

I've had problems with my line in the past but from Bts end they say they're resolved.

The line doesn't have any noise on it,last week it kept disconnecting then reconnecting over and over and only stopped after turning the modem off and I left it off for an hour hoping it wouldn't change my speed which luckily it didn't.

Would you say that with a huawei cabinet it's worth changing to the Zyxel to rule out it being caused by the Draytek as the Zyxel are supposed to be more reliable ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »

As Phil has mentioned, xDSL is very much a black art. A modem/router that performs well for one person, under one particular set of circumstances, may be sub-optimal for another person's usage case.

If you can source a ZxYEL device, at a reasonable price, then it would be worth trying. The fact that your circuit connects to a Huawei equipped cabinet is good hint that you may obtain better performance with a ZyXEL VMGnnnn-B10x device.

I'm looking to replace my Draytek Vigor 130 as it disconnects every few weeks . . .

Exactly what happens when "it disconnects every few weeks"? Is it the VDSL2 (ITU-T G.993.2) link to the Openreach DSLAM that drops? Is it the upper layer PPP session to your ISP/CP that drops? (The former will also cause the latter to occur but the latter will not cause the former to occur!) As you are using a "two box" system, the former can be caused by the modem whereas the latter can be caused by the router.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.