Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UPS battery replacement  (Read 5217 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
UPS battery replacement
« on: January 17, 2020, 12:14:02 PM »

I’m not sure if this is going to work out but I have an eBay "Yuasa” replacement battery, advertised as a replacement for APC.

Has anyone here done a battery replacement in a UPS? Is it easy or is it a nightmare? I’m not sure I’m going to be able to do it in bed, in which case this may have been a foolish idea. I was hoping you simply pop the new one in after somehow [?] getting in to access the old one?

What does one do about recycling the old one? I’m hoping I can send it back to APC?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: UPS battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 01:34:34 PM »

Depends entirely on your UPS model, I've changed the batteries in our APC 1500 and they are very heavy for their size. I'm pretty sure we disposed off our old batteries in our own battery recycling bin, being a commercial workshop we get through a few truck batteries.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »

I have changed the batteries on my APC UPS many times, I find they only have a life of around 5 years or so in service.  Its a little awkward as the batteries are heavy but very straight forward.

Just a comment, avoid buying on price, the really cheap batteries don't last at all, some I bought lasted less than a year.

Chunks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »

I’m not sure if this is going to work out but I have an eBay "Yuasa” replacement battery, advertised as a replacement for APC.

It might be best for you to post the model number of your APC UPS and of the Yuassa  battery you have obtained. (And, perhaps, links to images of them both.) I'm sure our UPS using experts will be able to confirm if the two are compatible.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 08:33:16 PM »

@burakkucat - will do, Janet has her iPhone camera (and a ‘real’ camera too)

The eBay battery was in fact an amazon battery - I got my purchases mixed up. It so incredibly cheap that I didn’t have a lot to lose.
The advert says https://www.amazon.co.uk/RBC2-RBC17-Replacement-Battery-RBC/dp/B00SJKNNRA
        RBC2 RBC17 Replacement Battery RBC 2 17 for APC UPS - Yuasa 12v 7Ah Battery
        Yuasa NP7-12 12v 7Ah Pre Charged Batteries with 4.8mm/0.187" wide male spade connection
        Fully Sealed (cannot spill) - Rechargable - Deep Cycle battery
        12v 7ah (as 6ah, 7.2ah, 7.5ah & 8ah)Replaces 7.2ah, 7.5ah and 8ah (same dimensions) if that's what you have now
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:23:00 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:59:38 AM »

I actually have two APC UPSs can’t remember the models : one is a black flat one with a couple of BS three pin mains sockets on the top; the other is the more familiar (to me) ‘tower’ type, with IEC C14 ‘kettle’-like (mistakenly so-called, by me :-[) sockets on the back.

I sorted out the assignments of everything the other day and now there’s only the Raspberry Pi on the black flat UPS and everything else is on the other one: main switch, firebrick, small mux switch and four modems. The WAPs each have their own Li-ion DC UPSs; I suppose I could PoE the WAPs from the main UPSs.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 09:59:39 AM »

Impossible to say what models they are from your description, but my 1500 takes two of those batteries.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »

No, indeed. I will ask my beloved to take some pics when she emerges.

A question. How do I choose a device for longer battery runtime as opposed to W or A supply capability? It’s total Coulombs (or Joules if you prefer) that I want.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:16:31 AM by Weaver »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 12:04:46 PM »

On APC's website, if you go to the technical specifications of a UPS, in the section Batteries & Runtime it has Battery Volt-Amp-Hour Capacity.

As a rough guide, they all are designed for a similar runtime, so the higher the number in the name of the model (which is the intended load), the larger the capacity and the longer runtime you will get if you are using a lower load.

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 12:33:57 PM »

Ah well spotted, thank you!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 07:33:50 AM »

How does one physically get into a UPS?

I promised a photo of the UPSs; I forgot to nag poor Janet sufficiently, with her camera phone.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »

How does one physically get into a UPS?

Unless you are Antman, I doubt anyone can :P

On a more serious note I suspect YouTube will have a guide once you know the make and model.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 11:41:58 AM »

The APC models I've changed batteries in, the answer is "very easily" - if you read the manual.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 01:52:01 PM »

I’ll dig around on YouTube then and I’ll have to find a manual somewhere; I didn’t realise that this was something that was covered as a customer replaceable thing. I’ll need some tools.

And ant man- there was a clunker if a movie. Is the second one as bad?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 08:52:28 AM »

Just replaced the battery on my Trust (Oxxtrton) 1000VA UPS, used a Yucel Y9-12 (9AH) battery, diferent make, same spec. as original, cost approx. £28 + P&P from e-bay supplier.

Unit has been in service for just over 2 years, battery completely U/S., maintained minimal load for less than 30 sec's., could well have been U/S for some time earlier as never recently tested.

On re-commissioning, left case open with a 10 amp range Fluke multimeter in the battery circuit to check charging current.
Charging current tapered off nicely to expectation under no load from close to 1 amp to approx. 50 ma. over 8 hour period.
On load test with a 60 W. filiment lamp, close to 6.5 A's was drawn from the battery, obviously the inverter is not very efficient.
Load still going strong after 30 min's so aborted and re-boxed, happy with outcome.

Moral of the story, test UPS operation regularly, battery will eventually fail and certainly with my particular model will not be apparent until called into service, other, higher specification units may be different.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2
Pages: [1] 2

anything