Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Need a modem, help!?  (Read 1474 times)

jumboash

Need a modem, help!?
« on: January 10, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »

I live stream to twitch/youtube and need a decent modem. I won't be using wifi as I'll have everything plugged in via ethernet. I believe I have a Huawei cab so I'm looking at broadcom chip?

I stream at 1080p/60fps and game at the same time. My ISP is with BT, I had it installed yesterday and my speeds are 40/7mbs VDSL.

I have £300 budget but I image I won't need to spend that much?

I'm at your disposal, I've been researching like mad and your forum seems to be the place to trust!

Edit: I would like something with QOS if possible
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:46:17 PM by jumboash@hotmail.com »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Need a modem, help!?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »

Hi

What are you using at the moment?  I suspect you will find nothing much better than what you already have.  You can't pay more for a better modem, they are all much the same, i.e. you will need see anything radical in performance between any of them.

Now... If you are talking about QoS, then what you are probably meaning is you want a better router. 7Mbps on the upload side isn't very fast at all, and I suspect you might be struggling QoS or no QoS. Do you have some line stats from your current modem, why did you get the slower package rather than 80/20, i.e. is this all your line can handle?

Also you could use QoS to prioritise your gaming traffic (if playing online games) to have priority or your video upstream to have priority, but ether way one suffers, but you wouldn't want either one to suffer.

Given the low speeds, then any modem/router combination is going to be able to move that traffic plenty fast enough, your bottleneck is always going to be the connection itself.

Maybe someone else with more tips can jump in.

Regards

Phil

jumboash

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 04:07:47 PM »

Thanks for the reply!

"What are you using at the moment?" Smart Hub 6

"why did you get the slower package rather than 80/20, i.e. is this all your line can handle?" All that was provided to me, not able to get faster speeds on this line. Was told by Virgin I could get 500mb before we moved and then when virgin came to install they said it would cost too much to bring the line across the road so I'm stuck with bt

"Also you could use QoS to prioritise your gaming traffic" The plan was to allocate 4mb upload bandwidth to my PC (need 3.5mb to livestream) and then give the rest to the PS4

Edit: I'm just trying to optimise my poor line with a little QoS and compatible chipset
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:29:23 PM by jumboash@hotmail.com »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 04:41:49 PM »

Hi

Ah shame about Virgin and having to go with a slower BT line.

If the upload streaming is only about 3.5Mbps then you wouldn't need to limit that, it would naturally leave the rest free.

QoS isn't really going to help I fear.  Both the streaming and the gaming needs high priority I should think, if you prioritise the streaming then your gaming suffers, if you prioritise the gaming then streaming will suffer and your viewers will see drop outs and freezes. Providing that the streaming sticks to around 3 or 4 Mbps, and the remaining bandwidth is sufficient for the gaming (and no one else is trying to use the connection at the same time and there is no congestion elsewhere), it should be okay.  The best thing to do is test it.

For QoS to be of any use, you need a mixture of traffic that you can down prioritise as well as traffic you want to prioritise, but that doesn't sound like that will be the case for you.

The Smart Hub 6 is more than capable of doing everything you need anyway.

Regards

Phil

jumboash

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »

Again thanks for your help Phil!

I had used a netduma r1 router at my old address which I believe would let me set lanes that prevents any crosstalk or bufferbloat. I'm currently getting terrible bufferbloat according to dslrreport and I assumed a new modem with QoS would fix this on top of providing a very stable line.

I apologise for my lack of networking knowledge. I've been reading like crazy the past couple of days and I've got the bug!

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:10:54 AM »

Hi

Bufferbloat comes about due to using up all the bandwidth and testers give an indication on how bad the problem could be as a worse case scenario, but not necessarily indicating that it is a problem with your usual usage.  Remember testers are artificial and designed to show up the worst the connection might behave. 

Also to solve bufferbloat might mean clamping down your upload traffic and upload bandwidth, keeping some always reserved and available for other (maybe less important packets) to get through.  This might give you a "great" rating on a tester, but may not necessarily be the best thing for your usage type.

I would suggest testing a live stream and your game play and see if you have any problems and then work from there.

Regards

Phil

jumboash

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 05:14:38 PM »

Thanks Phil

How about Ping then because I seem to getting okayish results on my ping results but need them to be as low as possible.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 10:36:25 PM »

QoS will help but it will be tight if you on low speed broadband. I play games online with my son and usually suffered with ping jumping. I got 80/20 with sync at 79.995/20, I use Asus rt-ax88u as router on old eci modem with chaos calmer as I'm on eci cabinet. When I checked ny bufferbloat it was ridiculous, so I limited speed on my asus router for my son pc and mine. Max speed I can get is around 71-72Mb/s download and around 18.5 upload, limited booth pc to 62Mb/s download and upload to 14Mb/s, result - ping nice low and stable. Other devices in my house not limited (about 12 via WiFi), also my pc and my son connected via wifi.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:45:58 PM by mrk26 »

jumboash

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 07:19:52 PM »

QoS will help but it will be tight if you on low speed broadband. I play games online with my son and usually suffered with ping jumping. I got 80/20 with sync at 79.995/20, I use Asus rt-ax88u as router on old eci modem with chaos calmer as I'm on eci cabinet. When I checked ny bufferbloat it was ridiculous, so I limited speed on my asus router for my son pc and mine. Max speed I can get is around 71-72Mb/s download and around 18.5 upload, limited booth pc to 62Mb/s download and upload to 14Mb/s, result - ping nice low and stable. Other devices in my house not limited (about 12 via WiFi), also my pc and my son connected via wifi.

I picked up the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A and with help from the forum I was able to get it set up and running  :cool:

I'm getting next to no bufferbloat now and the tests I was running before with the BT Smart Hub which were showing terrible bufferbloat (400ms+) now show me having less that 10ms so I'm a happy man.

I'm now just interested to learn how to get the best out of my line and what my line produces. Devastated Virgin backed out of a promised install and knowing their box is just across the road is a killer. So for now I'm trying to get the best out of my line