Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 7 support ends today - upgraded for free to Windows 10  (Read 8626 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Windows 7 support ends today - upgraded for free to Windows 10
« on: January 14, 2020, 06:44:11 AM »

Since Windows 7 support ends today I decided to update my old PC to W10, which can still be done for free.

Simply download and run the Windows Media Creation tool and choose update. You always used to be able to do a fresh install and simply enter the Windows 7 or 8 key. If you don't know your key use Jelly Been key finder. I haven't tried a fresh install recently, but presumably it still works.

Apart from an old realtek Bluetooth driver all went smoothly.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

dave4709

Re: Windows 7 support ends today - upgraded for free to Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 12:18:54 PM »

I hope you are happy with windows 10 personally i hate it but i will have to at some stage have to upgrade but not just now. Here is a small piece of information that Microsoft has not told anyone but its a FACT if you overwrote win 7 with your free upgrade you cannot go backwards it will not allow you. if you wanted to go back to win 7 on any other version of windows you would have to remove the hard drive to format it & do a complete clean install of the version of window you want then at a later like me you WILL have to upgrade its then its not FREE you will have to pay for a licence to make it legal. Google info After 10 years, support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020. If you continue to use Windows 7 after support has ended, your PC will still work, but it will become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses because you will no longer receive software updates, including security updates, from Microsoft.14 jan. 2020 Another fact Win 7 is still working fine & to be very honest i NEVER turned on windows updates so in their words they have just made people change to make life easy for themselves. Its just info its just down to the individual what & how they do & what they want to do. 

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 03:50:04 PM »

Been using Windows 10 ever since it came out, so I have no problem with it. I'd intentionally left my old PC on W7 just in case something wouldn't work on ten, but everything has been fine.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »

to be very honest i NEVER turned on windows updates

more fool you

celso

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 05:01:17 PM »

Windows 10 itself is fine. At the end of the day it's just Windows 7 (you'll see lots of old pages and icons if you dig deep enough) with some security improvements and a new UI.

Privacy and ads are a problem though. Not only it sends telemetry to Microsoft (as far as I know it can only be disabled on enterprise), but local search sending data to bing, it installs games and other apps automatically, messages to switch from Chrome or Firefox to Edge... in this regard, Windows 7 was superior.

The good thing is that there are a few scripts and apps that remove some of crap and use better defaults. Since I'm not much a command line guy, I use this tool called O&O ShutUp10 ( https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 ). Easy to use and even using the defaults is already a big improvement.

For those that only need Windows for some tasks and don't want to upgrade to Win 10, consider installing Linux. You can run Windows apps on a virtual machine or with Wine. Ubuntu or Linux Mint are good user friendly distros (if you don't want to jump to something like Arch Linux) and at least your system would be secure.