Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange resync last night  (Read 2058 times)

pob

Strange resync last night
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:41:06 PM »

My FTTC connection has generally always been stable but I've never had anything near the top-end of the predicted speeds.  Max I have ever synced at is around 44Mb.  My upload is always really low (compared to predictions).

Anyway, imagine my surprise when I happened to check the router today and found it syncing higher than every before (49.4Mb).  Then I spotted the SNR : 0.7dB.

I imagine it won't hold this for long and will eventually go back to it's usual level - I'm surprised that it actually managed to negotiate a connection at this speed though.  After 5 years on this line (and 3 engineer visits) I know the line can't possibly go any faster.

Anyone every seen anything like this before?

(Unfortunately my TP-Link VR2800 packed up recently so I've been using the BT Smart Hub for the last month)

Thanks

Phil

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Strange resync last night
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:44:18 PM »

Seen it before. Nothing to write home about. Evens out in the end.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 08:41:49 AM »

With those estimates, I'm surprised your downstream rate is that slow.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

pob

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 08:51:41 AM »

Yep - me too.
It’s always been like that (with BT based connection). I’ve had 3 engineer visits over the years and they always say there is nothing they can do.
When I was on Digital Region years ago, which was a different cabinet next to the BT one, I synced at 40+ with a much higher SNR. The max attainable in those days according to a HG612 was over 70Mb. I was therefore extremely disappointed when my connection moved from DR to BT and my line quality plummeted.  (Note: Digital Region didn’t sell a service faster than 40Mb).  I’m guessing there is a huge amount of crosstalk on my BT cabinet.

dorzb

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 09:10:53 AM »

Yep - me too.
It’s always been like that (with BT based connection). I’ve had 3 engineer visits over the years and they always say there is nothing they can do.
When I was on Digital Region years ago, which was a different cabinet next to the BT one, I synced at 40+ with a much higher SNR. The max attainable in those days according to a HG612 was over 70Mb. I was therefore extremely disappointed when my connection moved from DR to BT and my line quality plummeted.  (Note: Digital Region didn’t sell a service faster than 40Mb).  I’m guessing there is a huge amount of crosstalk on my BT cabinet.

are you paying for the 80/20 service? ask for refund then

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:13:00 AM »

@pob

Yes, had a similar experience on the 3 lines I monitor, 2 X Plusnet 40/10 and a BT 80/20, monitored 24/7 with RPi's running DSLStats, same exchange, different DSLAM's.

Happened on 10/12/19 due to re-synch's caused by DSLAM outage which appeared to be a scheduled software upgrade.
The product on all 3 modem's was higher than expected DS & US synch rates with associated lower SNRM's.
Was advised by forum patrons that this was likely due to my monitored modem's synch'ing faster than most on their respective DSLAM's so minimising any potential cross talk factor and producing higher synch rates.

As CarlT advises, your line will likely return to normal expectation stat's on the next re-synch, my lines certainly did.
The lines did maintain synch for quite a long time and the eventual re-synch's were not DLM instigated.   
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

pob

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »

I’m on the up to 55Mb package but only pay the price of the 40Mb package.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 01:27:28 PM »

Yep - me too.

Oh wow, did they not upgrade your cabinet?  When I left Digital Region I was syncing at 99.9Mbit, although I think Origin Broadband were probably quite influential in that as I suspect they were using my connection to promote how great they were. ;)

Code: [Select]
Max: Upstream rate = 35307 Kbps, Downstream rate = 114096 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 33564 Kbps, Downstream rate = 99999 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 10.3 7.2
Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.8 -6.4

Those were the days:

Was a sad day moving to BT:

Was happier when Origin offered me a line for free for a year when I left them to go to Zen though.  Zen + Origin combined:

Zen on its own now has suffered the crosstalk curse:

Even both lines running again can't compete (Plusnet + Zen):
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:41:32 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 05:04:06 PM »

My line had a similar odd re sync at around 0 :30 hrs The changes were a slightly higher DS SNR margin and higher attainable rate, lower US SNR Margin, but higher us attainable rate which is strange , lower FEC error rate , and lower ES rate no other changes were made, i notice from Zen's status page my STD code area was scheduled for maintenance  and is for the next 4 nights , maybe they are fixing the Bras IP profile rates for those who like me have ended up being stuck with 5% less throughput following RETX being briefly applied for no apparent reason when dlm lowered the ds target margin from 6 to 3db,?

pob

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 05:22:47 PM »

My IP profile has always been 87% of my sync speed for as long as I’ve been on BT :(

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 07:12:49 PM »

My IP profile has always been 87% of my sync speed for as long as I’ve been on BT :(
i haven't been had visibility of mine for over 12mths, Why BTW still have this antiquated system i don't know, they even deploy it on FTTH

pob

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 07:52:37 PM »

Alex: No they never upgraded my cabinet but despite that I loved my DRL connection.  Synced at a solid 44Mb with loads of SNR to spare.  Never dropped connection and always ran at full speed.  The only evidence of my stats is below - when you see these and then see my BT connection at such a low SNR there is no wonder I was shocked.  Obviously had to move away from DRL when they ceased to be :-(

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 08:06:25 PM »

As per this recent post:

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,24228.msg407797.html#msg407797

On the 3 lines I monitor, Synch/IP profile ratio has always been 96.7% until very recently, lines have always been on Re-Tx low profile.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 09:31:38 AM »

Alex: No they never upgraded my cabinet but despite that I loved my DRL connection.  Synced at a solid 44Mb with loads of SNR to spare.  Never dropped connection and always ran at full speed.  The only evidence of my stats is below - when you see these and then see my BT connection at such a low SNR there is no wonder I was shocked.  Obviously had to move away from DRL when they ceased to be :-(

As if that wasn't bad enough, actually moving away was a logistical nightmare. It took someone high up at Openreach to get the darn tags removed.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

pob

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 09:55:17 AM »

BT forced me to move to ADSL for a month before I could then order VDSL. Really loved being back on only 5Mb 😳
Pages: [1] 2