Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ultra high speed internet access pipe experience  (Read 1816 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Ultra high speed internet access pipe experience
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 06:49:05 PM »

Hi Carl I am in the village of Heasta, Skye. In fact there’s an old thread about my 7300m phone lines. I’m not sure how much it would cost to run fibre into here from NSBFD. Perhaps I should have done it some years ago.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 10:26:43 PM »

The thread in question is "Ultra-long line beyond 63.5 dB attn" which runs to eight pages!

It was at this point in the above thread where I discovered the location of the "Weaving Shed" (in "Weaver-land").
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 04:31:59 AM »

The thing you find on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w7cwi7vXGw
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 04:13:01 PM »

That's a good find.  :)

I've virtually-travelled that road on a number of occasions (via Google Maps Street View) looking at the places where the telecommunication cables were lying beside the road.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 04:40:03 PM »

That’s a very good YouTube posting. I’m assuming it was filmed by a local not a visitor because of the speed that she/he is driving at, confident. When you see the "Heasta" village sign at the Heasta cattle grid I am high above on the right. My house can be seen on the right of the road as you come down towards the village. It’s white with some large trees right by it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »

I’m assuming it was filmed by a local not a visitor . . .

Have you watched part two? S/he continues the journey, almost to the shore, before turning into the driveway of a newer looking house to the right of the road.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 05:36:12 PM »

It looks a lovely place to live, but I can't even begin to imagine living somewhere so far from a hospital.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 05:57:12 PM »

I have watched part two.

@Alex there’s a hospital in Broadford, half a mile from the end of the road. So I’d say it’s four miles or 15m mins to the hospital, time depending on how much you’re making allowances for the fragile patient and very bumpy road. That’s why I’m very fortunate. The hospital is marked in google maps in the centre of Broadford, on the north side of the road, set back a little way. The GPs’ medical centre is next to the hospital.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 12:55:15 AM »

Where I live, about an hour and a half’s drive from London, we are equidistant between two NHS hospitals.  Each is about 10-15 miles, or 20-30 mins drive.   

But you wouldn’t drive to them as neither has credible car parking facilities, NHS guidance being to cycle, or to use public transport.  Yet being a small hamlet,  there are no local taxis, and the community buses run just three times a week.

If healthcare were paramount I could easily be tempted by a move to the Hebrides. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2020, 01:56:27 AM »

There is a small amount of parking at the Broadford Hospital. It’s free and in the incredibly rare event that the car parking out at the front is full up, then you can always park at the doctors’, at the medical centre, just next door, down the road. The hospital has an emergency dest, and x-ray and ultrasound. They used to do major operations there but now for some reason they have stopped that, although I have had several lots of minor surgery there. They have a dozen or so patients resident - I’m not sure exactly how many. I have had a stay several times. I have also been to hospital in Fort William and Inverness both of which are hospitals where they do serious stuff, very major surgery.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything