Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ultra high speed internet access pipe experience  (Read 1817 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Ultra high speed internet access pipe experience
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:51:32 AM »

If you are lucky enough to have used a say 100M / 300M / 500M / 900M / 10G / 40G / 100G / [?] bps downstream internet connection, what exactly was the user experience like when browsing the web and visiting well known websites ? Was it noticeably incredibly fast? How fast? Or was there a bottleneck that was significant in limiting your experience to below the level expected ? Such as the internet connection / wider internet / pipe going into the server or the web server s/w itself’s responsiveness? We’re some websites fast but not others?

I’ve never been lucky enough to have used a 10M / 100M / 1G / 10G etc internet connection at all so am left wondering what the web browsing real user experience would be like. The fastest internet connection I have ever used was a 6Mbps pipe at work or maybe an 8Mbps pipe at smo.uhi.ac.uk when I was a student 21 years ago. But now my home internet connection beats that with a 10M / 1.5M (measured TCP SDU speeds ). Except that since mine is a 4-pipes bonded DSL internet connection, it may well be that some applications don’t respond well to that in terms of achieving optimal speeds.

displaced

• Reg Member
Re: Ultra high speed internet access pipe experience
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 01:36:33 PM »

My work has a 1GBit symmetrical internet connection.  It's certainly quick, but in all honesty, regular web browsing doesn't feel all that much faster than my home VDSL connection.  Everything feels pretty instantaneous, but web browsing still has the odd pause whilst the browser performs layout/rendering.  Likewise, there's still a brief pause before online video begins playback.

Downloading multi-gig ISOs is certainly quick, as are pushes/pulls of large chunks of data.  We have a frequent need to push ~1TB into the cloud.  Being able to shift 1TB in a couple of hours (well, a bit more because of QoS to prevent total saturation) is quite fun!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »

It feels faster to me balancing across Plusnet and Zen, but its hard to say if its just placebo effect as latencies reported on both ISPs have dropped over time anyway.

Theoretically though it SHOULD be faster, especially if you don't adblock and the rest of the page is waiting on the adverts to load.  But it can depend a lot on your PC as all that javascript loading can end up CPU bound.

For me the big reason to upgrade was I download a lot.  I was sick of game updates taking forever and once the new consoles come out with more limited storage space, I feel its going to be even more important as I'm someone who tends to swap games a lot rather than just focus on one, so having as many installed as possible has been important.  Assuming their infrastructure can support it, being able to download at 1Gbit would be a god send, no longer needing to think about which games I can delete based on how long they would take to re-download.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:50:24 PM »

As displaced says, if you’re on a decent VDSL you will find limited benefits from higher speeds (apart from downloads or if you have multiple large demands on the line), as things like your setup, resolving DNS all act as a bottleneck as does peering/the web server on the other end

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 06:10:47 PM »

Can a very very fast PC help with ordinary (ie not pure cathedrals of JavaScript) websites, the likes of amazon eBay, Facebook, bbc, YouTube then? And can multiple cores help?

If an extremely fast internet connection can end up bottlenecked by the CPU in the browser because of rendering and JavaScript execution I’m wondering if the bottlenecks then lie in RTT and in dns lookups (but they could be in the dns cache). You could change to use a faster dns service maybe, one with a better cache or faster servers, also closer so less rtt and a fast pipe to/form it.

Has anyone ever used more than 1Gps link to the internet?

Of course there will always be bottlenecks but today with fast processors, if browsers are designed to be multi-threading friendly thus supporting multi-core CPUs then where does the next bottleneck lie? Back to the internet but to RTT ?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 06:29:28 PM »

RTT, DNS and website coding are the big ones for most sites.

There are so many places that can bottleneck. If the site is poorly coded you'll be getting loads of serialisation rather than resources in parallel. If having to make many requests to many servers RTT and DNS.

Once you get past a certain level of bandwidth browsing isn't perceptibly faster.

I have 350 Mb at home. I have used 700 Mb, 1 Gb and 2 Gb. The fastest browsing experience I've had was none of those - it was a 100 Mb connection because of where that connection was - in RTT a millisecond from LINX  ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 09:19:27 AM »

So RTT really does matter, because of the silly number of objects in most web pages ?

I thought CarlT might have a chance to win the fattest pipe competition :) no offence meant, because of your work, but then I don’t know about other people

The reason I asked about the extremely high speed browsing experience was a bizarre thing that happened in 2004. I upgraded my sister from dialup to 0.5 Mbps DSL (Demon before and after in fact). She was using her web browser and after a while I asked her how it was now, and she said it was not any different, even though she had got a true 50kbps downstream before (or ~200kbps with serious Demon MPPC compression of text such as html) so this was a 10x upgrade on incompressible data such as images. I was amazed that she could not see a 10x speed upgrade. She had an extremely fast PC for those days, the hottest money could buy back then, a c 2001 Pentium 4 1.7GHz with weird fast RAM in it (RAMBUS iirc) but it could be that RTT and DNS were limiting things.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:48:03 PM by Weaver »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 11:42:28 AM »

People quickly adjust, I'd be willing to bet if at the time you had tried them back on dialup after a few day on that faster connection they would have been "wtf did you do, it was NEVER this slow before".

The same happens with gaming, I constantly switch between 60fps and 120fps gaming and when going upwards I sometimes have to check its doing 120fps.  However if I actually switch back down to 60fps its immediately obvious and hugely annoying.

Or if I don't game for weeks then go on something like Spiderman which is only 30fps, I will completely forget.  It doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a generally better experience at a higher frame rate.

Although with the Internet I'd notice much sooner when browsing high resolution photos on Flickr, its the difference between seeing the photo load or it just appearing instantly.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 03:18:39 PM »

We have 1Gbit internet access at work and, it, if you know how, can make it lightning fast. We have 10Gbit internet pipes in our Data Centres, but none of them have GUI's that I can browse the internet on (Linux)

I.e. not use a machine that uses the corporate internet software that tunnels everything for security.

A raw 1gbit connection is just, lovely. I've seen downloads at 700-800Mbit to my laptop.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »

So RTT really does matter, because of the silly number of objects in most web pages ?

I thought CarlT might have a chance to win the fattest pipe competition :) no offence meant, because of your work, but then I don’t no about other people

Actually an awful lot of my work is with relatively modest bandwidths.

RTT is a big thing, yes.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 07:51:48 PM »

I think that provided sharing doesn’t ruin it all, the community of B4RN users must have a very nice time. The 1Gbps upstream they enjoy is a beautiful thing, given that upstream with eg BTW FTTP is relatively rubbish, still not symmetrical.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 10:39:04 PM »

Don't think it makes any difference to most applications.

Being held at pitchfork point by Chris Conder to ensure you don't undermine her absurd point about premises passed and premises served by daring to not take the service may be a downside.  :lol:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 04:35:27 AM »

There are some things that just don’t work at all at these speeds. Uploads are horrendous at 1.5Mbps (measured, presumably TCP payload speedtest2.aa.net.uk) - doing a backup of one iPad can take 40 mins and it just wipes every other kind of traffic out while it’s doing it, effectively putting a hold on any other activities, and has a bad effect on downloads too. Mind you a lot of the fault is down to operating systems and my router - bufferbloat and insufficient queue-, QoS and fancy traffic management features.

The other thing is iMessage which sometimes doesn’t work properly at all, with incredibly distorted picture with bizarre vertical bars on it. It’s ok on 4G though, which I view as very significant. When I’m trying to iMessage Janet in the house I think each of us is only getting 1/2 of the DSL upload bandwidth per pipe per user.

And even though I now have 10.5 Mbps downstream which is joyous compared to 49kbps/33kbps (49-200k/33-130kbps max with highly compressible data) in 2003, 0.5 Mbps downstream in 2004 and then 1.5 / 0.4 Mbps in 2006, two of us doing things at the same time is sometimes not good at all. So I avoid activities that might disrupt my wife while she is trying to work - software downloads for updates especially common case. Downloading movies is left till the middle of the night so they won’t wipe Janet out or cost a fortune (AA ‘units’ deal means downloads are 400x cheaper in small hours)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 02:04:50 PM »

So iMessage is server based like Skype is now?

On the old peer to peer version of Sykpe you could video chat to someone else on the LAN and it would never leave the LAN at all, so absolutely pixel perfect.

Its practically unusable now even with him on Virgin and me on Zen, it never wants to hit a stable 1080p feed because of the server bottleneck even though we both have plenty of bandwidth.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 09:30:38 PM »

I would gladly contribute to a 'Get Weaver Better Broadband' crowd funder.

The lengths you've gone to to improve your connectivity rather than just complaining about it or holding your hand out and waiting for the taxpayer to help are unreal.

Where, approximately, in the country are you? I know people who know people.
Pages: [1] 2