Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What ADSL/DSL router for a newbie? +?  (Read 644 times)

Tricky-Ricky

• Just arrived
What ADSL/DSL router for a newbie? +?
« on: October 28, 2021, 03:05:18 PM »

Hi had a brief read through regarding which modem/router to get and read a lot about opinions on the chipsets used in various routers, and it seems the Broadcom is the favourite, but why is the MediaTek chipset so unsuited to UK service providers?
Anyway, as a newbie to actually running a non provider router, I would value some opinions on which one out of the minefield I should go for? Currently, running the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub and to be honest I don't really have any problems (until now) which I will outline shortly but don't think it's all down to a routing problem.

I recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk D7000, and it messed with all the LAN IP addresses which caused me some problems but the main reason it was returned was down to several losses of a connection in just 24hours, so gave up on it.

Don't know if anyone can Shead some light in this, but I have three Hikvision security cameras via POE to a Hikvision DVR which has been running fine for a year and I also have two Tapo wireless cameras that were also being recorded to the DVR, but since using the Netgear router I have lost them from the DVR and cannot see them via ONIVF software where I could before, they show up as active on an IP search and the mobile Tapo app, but I just get video endpoint errors when trying to find them....any ideas?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: What ADSL/DSL router for a newbie? +?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 01:02:39 PM »

Hi Tricky-Ricky,

Welcome to kitz forum, regarding your issues, what firmware version is on the D7000, and have you changed the subnet of the D7000 to match the TT WiFi Hub?

anything