Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: An Optical Fibre Link Thought Experiment  (Read 1221 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
An Optical Fibre Link Thought Experiment
« on: January 12, 2020, 07:28:40 PM »

Assume that over there (points to the far left-paw corner of "The Cattery") is an Adva FSP 150CCf-825, powered up and operational.

Two Adva SFP transceiver modules are available --
  • SFP/LS/1310S/SM/LC (Part No. 0061003002)
  • SFP/GBE/1310S/SM/LC (Part No. 0061003008)
The first being up to 100Mbps capable over an up to 10km single mode optical fibre link and the second being up to 1000Mbps capable over an up to 10km single mode optical fibre link.

An Adva patch cable adaptor pack, F150/BT-/SFP/GBE1310S/01 (Part No. 2061993008-02), length 2m, as supplied to the BT Group is available. This consists of a pair of LC/UPC connectors linked by two lengths of 2m of single mode fibre to a pair of SM/UPC connectors. (Two simplex fibres, side by side, making a duplex link.) Also in the pack is an adaptor, a pair of female SM/UPC to female SM/UPC connectors, back-to-back.

The second of the two SFP transceivers, described above, is inserted into a vacant SFP position (LAN-5) of the FSP 150CCf-825 and the LC/UPC connectors of the patch cable adaptor pack are plugged into the SFP transceiver.

Assume that over there (points to the diagonally opposite corner of "The Cattery" to that where the FSP 150CCf-825 is sited) is a Planet GT-802S media convertor. It has two SM/UPC ports, described as 1000Base-LX, and an 8P8C Ethernet socket. The former are capable of operating over a pair of up to 10km (simplex) fibres to provide a duplex link and the latter is capable up to 1000Mbps.

The GT-802S data sheet states --

Fiber (sic) Maximum Distance: 10km
Optic Wavelength:             1310nm
Max. Optical Launch Power:    -3dBm
Min. Optical Launch Power:    -9.5dBm
Max. Input Power:             -3dBm
Min. Input Power:             -20dBm
Optical Link Budget:          4.9dB

A pair of single mode fibre patch cables, length 4.5m, are connected to the two ports of the GT-802S and are run to meet the SC/UPC connectors of the patch cable adaptor from the FSP 150CCf-825.

Tempting as it may be to link the two ends with the provided two SC/UPC female to SC/UPC female adaptor, attenuators must be inserted to reduce the power such that the receive optics (at each end of the duplex link) are not overloaded.

The question is: What value attenuator should be inserted into each (simplex) leg of the (duplex) link?

The total fibre length is 6.5m. The optics at each end of the link are good for up to 10km. Assuming that the attenuation of an optical fibre is proportional to its length, let's consider reducing the received power by a thousand. Performing the calculation --

10 x log10(10-3) = -30

Hence I assume that at least a 30dB attenuator should be inserted in each leg of the link. But that "assumes a link length" of 10m. (We've reduced the initial 10km by a thousand.) To err on the safe side, let's "assume a link length" of 5m. Recalculating --

10 x log10(5 x 10-4) = -33

So the second, and final, question (for those who have followed my logic and are still reading): Would 33dB attenuation, in each leg of the link, be approximately correct? (Remembering that this is a thought experiment and, thus, I do not possess the means to measure the relevant light levels.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:23:12 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: An Optical Fibre Link Thought Experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 10:36:09 PM »

I'm struggling to visualise the connections but we need to know the max and min input levels and launch power for the SFP that I assume will connect to the GT802S

As long as the SFP launch power is no higher than -3dBm and will accept an input of -3dBm (as does the GT802S) then no attenuation will be required. In any case the value of attenuation won't be critical as the input range of the SFP will probably be very wide.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 12:57:27 AM »

Hmm . . . I went for a rummage through the doings (in "The Grotto") and ended up paging through various PDF files that had been saved, just in case.

In one was a table, printed in a font smaller than that of the main body of the document. I peered at the various part numbers and could just make out "0061003008". Zooming in on that table, I transcribed the relevant section of its contents --

Service:                 GigE
Adva Part Number:        0061003008
Fibre Type:              Single Mode (1000BaseLX10)
Connector:               Duplex LC
Mechanics:               SFP with diagnostics
TX Wavelength:           1260nm - 1360nm
Span Length:             10km
Spectral Width:          3.5nm
Ext. Ratio:              9dB
Tx Power:                -11dBm to -3dBm
Rx Range:                -19dBm to -3dBm
Rx Damage Threshold:     >= +3dBm
SD Assert (falling) min: -30dBm

Hopefully that provides the required data?  :-\

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 02:05:10 AM »

No attenuation necessary. All good.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:52:35 AM »

Agreed, you won't need to fit attenuators in either direction

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »

Thank you, both. Reviewing the data for the optics at each end of the link, I can now see why you give that answer.