Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: VM - A question of max ethernet port speed  (Read 5598 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: VM - A question of max ethernet port speed
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2020, 03:16:44 AM »

Its actually false to say Netflix 4K doesn't resolve to 4K, its far more complicated than that.

On static or relatively small amounts of motion, it looks fantastic.  As a general rule, 2K Bluray retains a lot of finer detail that Netflix doesn't have at 4K, but Netflix DOES have clearer outlines between high-contrast areas, so it depends heavily on the scene.  You will notice in their Marvel shows and Stranger Things, a lot of scenes are VERY static, bringing out the 4K detail.  (not to say the 4K Blurays aren't better, I own them for Stranger Things)

What really annoys me about Netflix is their audio quality, quite a lot of movies sound really flat compared to the Bluray.  I find an immersive wide sound stage can more than make up for picture loss, whereas the picture can never make up for flat audio.

It makes me sad that so many people watch TV shows and movies on their phone, laptop or even just TV speakers, because surround sound can make a night and day difference to how you perceive whats happening on the screen.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2020, 06:11:12 AM »

How does one skip precise time intervals?

Janet is using a box for Freesat made by Humax now iirc. Sky was binned a few years ago as just too expensive.

I use Mediaportal which runs on a pc and a server does all our recording.

As for your Freesat box, take a look at https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/skipping-through-adverts.1155/ but it might vary by model so best research the model number.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »

This is why I like these forums - every so often you learn something useful! Just changed the settings for the recording playback on our Humax Freesat to skip 30s forward 15s back (it was set on 2m forward). We were using fast forward over the adverts.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2020, 11:26:33 PM »

I watched an episode of Grand Designs on Channel 4HD tonight, that my recording system had picked up automatically, based on a ‘rule’ that I like to record episodes of that prog that I’ve not seen before.   It was in fact an old episode from 2004, that had been broadcast in the middle of the night.

Very noticeably the ad’ breaks, whilst populated with current ads, were all exactly two minutes, just like the good old days.   I’m guessing it’s quite hard to retro fit the marathon advert breaks to old progs, as they still have to fit within a fixed time slot of, in this case, an hour?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2020, 12:32:55 AM »

The few times I've watched broadcast TV its been notable that the ad breaks are much shorter in the early hours of the morning, as few advertisers are going to pay for when hardly anyone is watching.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 [3]