Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What modem is best?  (Read 2931 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: What modem is best?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 03:14:34 AM »

You're forgetting any latency penalty for fragmenting the packet, that potentially magnifies the cost of a smaller MTU.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 08:13:31 AM »

Hi

You're forgetting any latency penalty for fragmenting the packet, that potentially magnifies the cost of a smaller MTU.

Thankfully fragmented packets do not happen often due to Path MTU discovery, and so in many cases MTU may be much lower than our requested supported 1492 or 1500 and we are told to make it smaller, this again means supporting 1500 as opposed to 1492 is unlikely to make much difference.  Also because PPPoE is so popular, a lot of networks we connect with over the Internet will limit their MTU to 1492 (or less) anyway in order to avoid any chance of fragmentation or problems.

A good tool for checking a router and firewall is working correctly with Path MTU discovery is below.  On my connection MTU discovery is working for IPv4 and IPv6.  IPv6 doesn't support fragmenting packets (en-route) so it is important MTU discovery works on that.

http://icmpcheck.popcount.org/
http://icmpcheckv6.popcount.org/

Regards

Phil
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:16:22 AM by PhilipD »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 08:48:06 AM »

Don't believe all the hype on the Zyxel modem/routers. I have the fabled 1312-B10A and found it performed worse than my beloved HG612's. If it works out to be faster for you, then that's great - but they don't work for everyone.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 11:08:35 AM »

Don't believe all the hype on the Zyxel modem/routers. I have the fabled 1312-B10A and found it performed worse than my beloved HG612's. If it works out to be faster for you, then that's great - but they don't work for everyone.

It's certainly true that they are not the best for everyone, but they undoubtedly outperform other modems for many people on this forum.
I have the VMG8924-B10A, which has the same Broadcom chipset, and I believe the same front-end filter as the VMG1312-B10A. I have only found one other modem/router (Netgear D6220) that performs as well on my line, and believe me I have tried a good few!
My only real criticism of my 8924 is that the wireless strength isn't the best - it's adequate for my needs but I know that others are better.
As I prefer a single box setup it's the best compromise device that I have been able to find to date.
 :)   
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 12:06:19 PM »

Yeah, I suppose the moral of the story is to try it and see what works best.

I may give it another shot, we'll see.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 07:30:59 PM »

Dee.jay is right, I have my B10A running on slow ADSL so I can’t say anything about any merits in good quality short VDSL2 lines. My previous DLink DSL-320B-Z1 modems were very good - in some respects better, in some worse.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything