Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poor dog  (Read 3153 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Poor dog
« on: January 09, 2020, 03:06:30 PM »

Ciarán my old greyhound is getting a bit dodgy at his back end - losing control of muscles or something. Sometimes he seems to find jumping up difficult. He messed his dog bed this morning and then left a mess all over the bedroom floor, which Janet analyses as a similar loss of control over something at the rear end of him. Caileag, my much beloved old lurcher, who is no longer with us, went the same way, or similar at least, problems with her rear end, in her last months.

So this morning he came up on the bed and looked worried. I didn’t realise the real reason -that he had had an accident in his bed, and I had been half asleep. I thought he was just being nice to me, coming to see me, or mor like some alternative reason connected with the fact that he might get a corner of M&S hot cross bun which I was eating at the time. Janet tells me the dog is not allowed fruity buns - something to do with the fruit that is in them, not sure why. I forgot this and gave him a tiny nibble or two anyway.

I’m rather worried about him, but taking him to the vet will doubtless be pointless and will only serve to terrify him.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Poor dog
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 05:36:21 PM »

Sad news to read.  :(

Two quick questions . . . How old is he? And how long has he been retired, living with you?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:17:26 PM »

I’ve had him for ten and a half years, I can’t remember what age he was when he retired. Normally they retire at between three and five years of age, so he’ll be between 13 and 16. I’ll ask Janet. If we’re stuck we can look him up, as all pedigree greyhounds are in a database accessible on the web.

He did the same today, I’m afraid. He then spent most of the day on the bed with me having fuss until Janet came to give him his tea and put him out for a walk. He patrols the estate every day slowly, sniffing, find the perfect spot to go to the toilet, then races home.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 09:27:11 PM »

Sad as already said. My pets are my best friends I’m frightful of the future although Lucy and I go walking daily and she is still doing well. Totally deaf but always keeps me in sight. She is nearly 12 and a cocker spaniel. Mind you Albert the cat is now 16 he seems very active despite being a tripod cat  ::)
I hope he might recover and enjoy what must be a wonderful loving home.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 10:25:27 PM »

We lost our border terrier last Friday. He had bad arthritis, and maybe other things as well. The vet wanted to carry out further tests on him to find out what other problems he had. But when we discussed what other problems would be found, crumbling bones, arthritis, etc, etc, we were told that the only treatment was to put him onto the hard drugs. Our dog had been on metacam, and gabapentin for some time. So we decided that it would not be right to keep him going any longer.............

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 10:41:25 PM »

@beji09 so sorry to hear about your loss

@burrakkucat - Janet tells me he retired at three roughly and was 13 years old in October.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 08:27:24 AM »

Ciarán had a good day today. No accidents, and he stent the day downstairs.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 06:15:06 PM »

That is good to know. As long as he is not in any distress or discomfort then perhaps just treat him as one of "advancing age".

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 09:42:56 PM »

Perhaps like us all  ;D ;D
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 10:13:00 PM »

Thank you Weaver for your concern about our dog. It is a loss to us. Reference your dog, it looks possible to me that he has back problems. I fractured my spine in 1967 in/out? of a car crash. I was lucky that I could still walk afterwards. But it did affect my movement to an extent, but did not affect me enough to stop me doing anything I would normally have done. But I can say, fracture or not, back problems are not a joke. As you probably know slipped discs can cause pain and loss of muscle control. It might be a good thing if your dog took things easy, and not jump, or climb stairs if you can stop him?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 11:18:34 AM »

I’m thinking it’s perhaps his hips or something neurological. But I just don’t know. He climbs the stairs at a run every day to come to bed with us - he sleeps in a dig bed in my bedroom or sometimes on the bed if Janet is not in it. He can jump up on to the bed. He shows no signs of pain and eats very well. He even I think has a little run outside when the mood takes him (in my experience, usually after going to the toilet greyhounds run like mad back home, or away from the crime scene). We’re keeping a close eye on him for signs of distress and really don’t want to take him to the vet as it would terrify him. (He’s not a brave animal.)

Again, I am so sorry for your horrible experience. I’ve recently had to say goodbye to two of my dogs and four of my cats in recent years as I used to have seven cats and they were all getting to a certain age at very roughly the same time give or take a few years. My wife and I were feeling destroyed by these losses, so I can appreciate your situation. So very best wishes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:14:29 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 03:27:41 PM »

Worst experience so far. I was asleep one evening and I dimly remember Ciarán the greyhound jumping up onto the bed and snuggling down. I may have stroked him briefly, then fell a sleep again. I should now have realised that he might have had an ‘accident’ in his dog bed, possibly peed in it in his sleep or when he woke up too late. Janet had I believe not put him out recently, which is not a good thing.   :( Anyway, Janet later came upstairs and Ciarán had gone. She put her hand into something on the bed and realised it was dog poo, all over everywhere and he had owed all over the bed and on the floor too. Poor lamb. I had missed all of this, as I was fast asleep and I have no sense of smell much, for some reason. It was about nine o clock in the evening and Janet had to start completely stripping the bed and replacing everything, having evicted me temporarily. The result was a much nicer fresher softer bed for me anyway. I had two duvets on me so I donated one to Janet as new sheets arrived. Janet was tired and didn’t need this nightmare so late at night.

I suggested more frequent walks for Ciarán, and when the rain is heavy I don’t thing he is staying out in it long enough to fully do his duty and complete his business, which usually requires loads of walking around and sniffing to find the perfect spot to defile. I recommended sheltered places where he can be outside but out of the worst of the heavy rain, such as behind the house, on the north side, sheltered from the strong wind, and by the front of the garage, again sheltered facing north, where there is an overhang above, by the big main garage door.

I’m still thinking about a trip to the vet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 05:11:59 PM »

That is all rather worrying.  :(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 05:20:08 PM »

:( indeed. Will have to keep looking after him. He seems happy enough; idle as ever but eating fine and seems comfortable as always.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »

Sorry to hear about your dog. Does he take any medication at all. As I mentioned in earlier post, my last dog was on Metacam for years, and gabapentin for the last two years. These two drugs did keep him going for some time, and it was only the last 2 months when he could not even make it around the block. It is never nice to have your pets get old. Sorry, I am not using the correct term, `PETS' to describe our animals is insulting to them, an article in the paper today says....
   As of today we have a new puppy in the house. I think our problems have started....................
Pages: [1] 2