Chat > Chit Chat

Poor dog

(1/4) > >>

Weaver:
Ciarán my old greyhound is getting a bit dodgy at his back end - losing control of muscles or something. Sometimes he seems to find jumping up difficult. He messed his dog bed this morning and then left a mess all over the bedroom floor, which Janet analyses as a similar loss of control over something at the rear end of him. Caileag, my much beloved old lurcher, who is no longer with us, went the same way, or similar at least, problems with her rear end, in her last months.

So this morning he came up on the bed and looked worried. I didn’t realise the real reason -that he had had an accident in his bed, and I had been half asleep. I thought he was just being nice to me, coming to see me, or mor like some alternative reason connected with the fact that he might get a corner of M&S hot cross bun which I was eating at the time. Janet tells me the dog is not allowed fruity buns - something to do with the fruit that is in them, not sure why. I forgot this and gave him a tiny nibble or two anyway.

I’m rather worried about him, but taking him to the vet will doubtless be pointless and will only serve to terrify him.

burakkucat:
Sad news to read.  :(

Two quick questions . . . How old is he? And how long has he been retired, living with you?

Weaver:
I’ve had him for ten and a half years, I can’t remember what age he was when he retired. Normally they retire at between three and five years of age, so he’ll be between 13 and 16. I’ll ask Janet. If we’re stuck we can look him up, as all pedigree greyhounds are in a database accessible on the web.

He did the same today, I’m afraid. He then spent most of the day on the bed with me having fuss until Janet came to give him his tea and put him out for a walk. He patrols the estate every day slowly, sniffing, find the perfect spot to go to the toilet, then races home.

g3uiss:
Sad as already said. My pets are my best friends I’m frightful of the future although Lucy and I go walking daily and she is still doing well. Totally deaf but always keeps me in sight. She is nearly 12 and a cocker spaniel. Mind you Albert the cat is now 16 he seems very active despite being a tripod cat  ::)
I hope he might recover and enjoy what must be a wonderful loving home.

benji09:
   We lost our border terrier last Friday. He had bad arthritis, and maybe other things as well. The vet wanted to carry out further tests on him to find out what other problems he had. But when we discussed what other problems would be found, crumbling bones, arthritis, etc, etc, we were told that the only treatment was to put him onto the hard drugs. Our dog had been on metacam, and gabapentin for some time. So we decided that it would not be right to keep him going any longer.............

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version