Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: UPS installation  (Read 3430 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
UPS installation
« on: January 07, 2020, 11:48:46 PM »

Was helping Janet install a new UPS made by Power Walker. An amazing bargain on Black Friday. My existing APC one is going to have a new battery fitted in it. I can’t get the new unit to work - no words come up on the display

Q: Is this because it needs umpteen hours to charge up before first use?

I thought it needed four hours charging before first use so I did so when it was first taken out of the box. However after that, Janet then unplugged it from the wall and left it for two or three weeks while Xmas jollity came and went. I’m telling myself it will have gone flat over that time. (But I’m just guessing.) Q: Is that so?

Janet said, will it have gone flat so soon? I said: it isn’t that ‘soon’ - but I’m just guessing and I don’t know what I’m talking about. - ?

The ultra high downstream sync rates have all been wrecked now because I forget to tell Janet to turn off the modems before fiddling around with stuff tonight and so things have been turned off and on several times. This has caused chaos and sync rates downstream have all dropped by ~200k per modem - very annoying.

Is there a cure for that ?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: UPS installation
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »

If nothing was plugged in and running off it I wouldn't have expected the battery to go flat (if it's a lead acid battery) in two or three months!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 11:19:37 AM »

Hi

A good UPS normally have a trip fuse on the back so check that it has not tripped off

Also, the lower end tend to have a manual on/off switch on some as well as the on/buttons so check that

Most UPS do not have a charge time before it auto starts to work but like on jelv APC, it could be set to not start until say batteries are 20% charged then autostart. This figure could be defined by jelv on his APC 1500 if management board is installed

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 04:33:52 AM »

Will investigate in the morning. The modems on/off thing has knocked the aggregate downstream speed down to 10.5 Mbps; upstream is unaffected.

Look at the state of line 3 SNRM btw. The target downstream is 3dB; Target upstream is 6dB.

Line 3 SNRM: (in the diagram, green is upstream SNRM)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:46:06 AM by Weaver »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 04:24:56 PM »

Hi

If the UPS was cheap it might be because it was a return.  Was the battery out of the box already connected?  Normally you have to connect the battery first as they aren't shipped connected.

If it came connected then it is quite likely a return (cheap for a reason) and the battery has discharged completely to the point of being unreachable.

What do the instructions say?

Regards

Phil

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:27:54 PM »

Hi Phil,

When it arrived it was perfectly packed - didn’t appear to have been opened and repacked - it didn’t have that look about the contents. We will attack it again tomorrow afternoon. Janet had a bad back and then treated it by lifting breeze blocks today installing a rodent-proof, metal donkey food chest, so seeing as she has done herself no good, proceedings have been delayed.

Janet reminds me that the unit was powered on, sort of; there was a visible faint grey colour to the display. So I think that rules out the battery disconnect thing.

I found some info on the web for this model - PowerWalker VI 800 SW/UK 480W ; There is probably some user guide in the box - Janet has put the box in he office somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:30:41 PM by Weaver »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 05:47:53 AM »

Hi Phil,

When it arrived it was perfectly packed - didn’t appear to have been opened and repacked - it didn’t have that look about the contents. We will attack it again tomorrow afternoon. Janet had a bad back and then treated it by lifting breeze blocks today installing a rodent-proof, metal donkey food chest, so seeing as she has done herself no good, proceedings have been delayed.

Janet reminds me that the unit was powered on, sort of; there was a visible faint grey colour to the display. So I think that rules out the battery disconnect thing.

I found some info on the web for this model - PowerWalker VI 800 SW/UK 480W ; There is probably some user guide in the box - Janet has put the box in he office somewhere.

That's the same one I'm using and I'm a little suspect of the battery as mine says fully charged but if I put it under load it immediately falls down to half or less.  I'm starting to think it probably doesn't automatically do battery conditioning so its not keeping the charge topped up or anything.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 07:49:06 PM »

I can’t see the supposed grey colour of the display as being anything of significance; it’s not lit.

I have pronounced the unit doa and a heap of junk and have demanded a refund.

>:( >:( >:( :-X >:( >:( >:(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 11:27:34 PM »

I am sending it back to Amazon, I have a return authorisation.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 12:18:37 AM »

That's good to know. But tedious that it has to be done.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »

Mine shut down unexpectedly last night with just a 0 on the LCD.  As I was going to bed at the time I just power cycled it and everything worked again.

Checked their website today and it seems this error means internal fault.  :no:  So it seems the writing is on the wall.

I ordered a more expensive unit from a reputable manufacturer (almost twice the price) to replace it.  Just hope it holds out until Tuesday when the new one arrives.

Also amusingly saw they now sell an Amazon Basics UPS  :lol: yeah I'd trust Amazon Basics for a lot of stuff, but not a UPS.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything