Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Opinions of plusnet?  (Read 3052 times)

underzone

• Reg Member
Opinions of plusnet?
« on: January 07, 2020, 08:53:02 PM »

Hi,

plusnet have a current deal for 80/20 VDSL at just £25p/m.
The only downside is the 18 month contract length.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether plusnet are worth a go? Reliable? Low latency?
I read the current issues with billing etc, but what concerns me more is whether they get congested at peak times?
Also are any ports blocked, specifically SSH port 22?

Thanks,   :)

dorzb

Re: Opinions of plusnet?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »

Hi,

plusnet have a current deal for 80/20 VDSL at just £25p/m.
The only downside is the 18 month contract length.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether plusnet are worth a go? Reliable? Low latency?
I read the current issues with billing etc, but what concerns me more is whether they get congested at peak times?
Also are any ports blocked, specifically SSH port 22?

Thanks,   :)

kitz and J0hn are with PN :cool:

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 10:42:05 AM »

I have been with PN close to 10 years, ADSL2, 2+ then VDSL2.
Have always found their tech. support to be good when required, best results via their forum where tech. support is usually on hand.
Telephone support I believe can still involve a very long waiting time and their chat line support now appears to be rarely operational.

Unfortunately, they have not yet fully sorted out their administration issues arising from the new billing system implemented at the end of 2018, my previous 1 year contract negotiated in Nov. 2018 displayed blatently incorrect dates for it's full duration and my billing became "stuck" for 4 months as a byproduct of attempted fixes.

I have decided to remain with PN for another 1 year contract negotiated in Nov. 2019, however, my new contract dates are still incorrect and they have not been able to fix this to date despite protracted communications.

On the plus side, I have always managed to negotiate reasonable "loyalty" contract renewal deductions on a 1 year contract.

I think j0hn has recently defected to Virgin.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 12:10:23 PM »

I got so fed up with Plusnet that I left after nine months, the only good thing I can say is that they agreed I could leave without penalty.  That didn't stop them trying to collect cancellation charges, but luckily I'd had the sense to cancel the direct debit.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »

Hi all, do they get congested at peak times?

TIA

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:27:41 PM »

Not noticeable with me
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:07:50 PM »

Hi all, do they get congested at peak times?

TIA

Is congestion still a 'thang' ??

Thought only VM's pre-'Lightning' project saw high levels of network congestion ??  ;) :) :)

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 11:26:37 PM »

Thanks for the input, the order has now been placed.  ;D
2 weeks to the install/change over.

:thumbs:

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »

Does anyone recommend paying for this extra bolt on? Is it worth the £5?

Pro Add On
Upgrade your service for a prioritised connection. When you've got a busy household all online at the same time, Plusnet Pro prioritises key activities such as VPN access, software updates and FTP access so that you can focus on what's important. Subject to a 1 month rolling contract.

£5.00 per month

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 06:47:26 PM »

Does anyone recommend paying for this extra bolt on? Is it worth the £5?

Pro Add On
Upgrade your service for a prioritised connection. When you've got a busy household all online at the same time, Plusnet Pro prioritises key activities such as VPN access, software updates and FTP access so that you can focus on what's important. Subject to a 1 month rolling contract.

£5.00 per month

That sounds sketchy, thought I had read that Plusnet no longer do any traffic shaping on their network since 2018?

I have noticed my Plusnet line frequently showing packet loss on AirVPN (when its not even heavily loaded) whereas my Zen line does not.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »

Absolutely not
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 04:48:26 AM »

I've just given up on using the VPN on Plusnet, its utterly unusable with 10% packet loss under light load, pages kept timing out.
Absolutely zero problems when I switch the VPN over to my Zen line.

It was fine a few months back, but over the last month or two its been like this.  I had thought I had misconfigured something in pfSense as ping had stopped working on the Plusnet WAN, so I removed the limiter from that WAN and the floating rules but its still behaving badly with AirVPN.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 12:33:12 PM »

Alex, 10% packet loss on ICMP pings [?] using that thinkbroadband Firebrick-based service? Or your own Firebrick? Or other router that does CQM ? That is indeed going to be totally unusable.

Is there a possibility that that particular line is sickly, in DSL terms? Does its packet loss vary with time of day? As that would be a congestion test - peak periods vs off-peak.

TCP covers up so much, albeit with horrible performance, so that the guilty go unreported. CQM testing could give users a red or green light on your device, showing internet healthy/sick. Would have to be a bit intelligent though, so as to allow for the case of normal packet loss when under full load though.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 01:09:41 PM »

When I was with Plusnet there were three levels or firewall or content filtering that could be applied, changed from the user account.  To get our remote access VPN to work I had to have them all switched off.  When I say "VPN" what I mean is a VPN client, so actually UDP traffic encapsulating the IPsec and stuff.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 01:17:05 PM »

I wouldn't touch Plusnet with a bargepole.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller
Pages: [1] 2

anything