Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vista <----> to <----> XP  (Read 4791 times)

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
Vista <----> to <----> XP
« on: July 07, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »

Hey all,

I'm looking to downgrade my PC back to XP but I have one problem will I need to back up all my drivers onto a disk of some sort.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Vista <----> to <----> XP
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:45:07 PM »

I'm not too sure but I don't think you can actually backup the drivers!
So what you would need to do is to download the required drivers first.

However, as XP is quite good at locating drivers etc, whats wrong with just installing XP and letting it search for the drivers as required?

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:18:35 PM »

ooooh I can run the PC for a bit without the drivers ?? cause i heard the Proccessor it self needs drivers and one last question  ;D Is it true I have to format my HDD to get rid of vista cause im a bit worried something might go wrong.  :(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:18:57 PM »

Is it true I have to format my HDD to get rid of vista cause im a bit worried something might go wrong.  :(

No it's not true, but it is highly advisable.

Trying to install any operating system on top of another (even the same OS) can sometimes have undesirable effects, also it ensures that you get rid of all the bits and bobs (leftovers) of any previously installed software that was not removed 100% which is also quite a common occurrence.

So providing you backup any files such as Favourite, Emails, personal files etc, then installing XP should not be a problem.

Purely on a personal choice, if you have more than one actual HDD I always advise people to disconnect any other drives to avoid installing onto either the wrong drive or/and possibly losing any data.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:56:17 PM »

Just a reminder

Drivers for XP and Vista often arent the same, and you will may need different ones.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:08:15 PM »

Any chance I could get anytips on formatting my HD ??  :-\

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:32 PM »

Doesn't the XP installer do that for you if you ask nicely?
  Eric

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:52:53 PM »

didn't seem to do so  :(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 10:12:52 PM »

One of the first questions asked during the installation process is "Where you want to install XP to, ie, C:\ " and "Do you want to format the drive first"

So it may well be in your enthusiasm to install XP you may of missed that part.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 01:06:43 AM »

I would find necessary drivers you need first... and put them onto a USB key or burn them to a CD.

You may well have a CD that came with your computer which contains drivers, although they will be old now, but will probably still work find and let you use the PC adequately.

I advise people to locate drivers first, just in case XP doesn't find the drivers for your network card or motherboard chipset and you find you can't get online to download them once you've reformatted.

Of course if you've got another PC and a USB memory stick or CD burner then it's no problem. Windows will install and run, even if it can't find drivers for anything.

Take a few moments to double, triple and quadruple-check that you have backed up EVERYTHING you want to keep.

Did you put the CD in whilst Vista was running and select the "Install Windows XP" option? If so, that's probably why you didn't get the option to format the drive.

To (re)install XP, I always start the computer with the XP CD-ROM in the drive. This may require a change in your system BIOS setup. You will know if it's working if you get the message "Press any key to boot from CD ..."

Good luck, but I'd say find those drivers first. If you are struggling then post the make and model of your PC and we may be able to guide you in the right direction ;)
Chris

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 02:16:55 AM »

lol i got the drivers sorted  ;D but i need to know how to format the vista Hard Disk

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 02:43:14 AM »

During the XP setup when booting from the CD-ROM, it WILL ask if you want to format the drive, as OF pointed out.

There's a good guide (with pictures) at The Elder Geek website.

Figure 09 shows the screen where you choose to format the drive. If you have no known problems with the hard drive, choose NTFS (quick)
Chris

anything