Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: extra page on MS Word  (Read 4613 times)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
extra page on MS Word
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »

I'm playing around with making up a table on MS word.

In messing about getting the document right I keep getting a 2nd page opening up below, nothing on it. the show hide key dosn't display any lines or perameters.

But once there i can't get rid of it. Ok when I print I can select just page1 to print but I'lld like to get rid off it so when i pass the file on to others they can print it off for themselves without messing about with the print settings each time or finding a blank sheet between each page comming off the printer.

I think what could setting things off is i need to push the margins very close to the edge of the page.

It's to improve an existing document we use at work and by it's nature I need to expand  the table to as much of an A4 sheet as possible.

Any one got any ideas where I'm going wrong or how I can get rid of the second page ?

Just shows how much I don't use word any more.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: extra page on MS Word
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »

I can't say specifically, but I think with the margins, the minimum that's viable is to make *top/bottom/left/right ½" or 1 cm.  Try setting the *header/footer margins to 0 if you don't need headers/footers.  Have you considered reducing the font size (for reasonable legibility you can go down to 9, or maybe even 8 ), or changing to *landscape orientation.

*file menu / page setup

The mysteries of MS Office eh?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »

the margins are about 4mm for 3 sides

it's in landscape format and i'm using 8 point text for the headers.

I don't think if the original had a 2nd blank sheet as most of them have been photocopied & i'm sure the odd person who has it on file has the one sheet

ta

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 05:31:14 PM »

It is possible that a carriage return or other formatting character has been tacked on the end of the document and it is that which is on page 2. If you show the formatting characters by clicking the paragraph mark in the toolbar to the left of the "zoom" box (a percentage figure) you might be able to see something on the second page. If you can delete it/them. Otherwise I think it might be that your printer can't accept the small size of the bottom margin, 4mm does seem a bit tight. Hope this helps.

Tony

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:28:49 PM »

Ezzer
Did you eventualy fix your extra blank page in Word problem?
Tony

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »

Ezzer

Have you tried putting cursor on blank page and then press back space to delete space created in file.  This often works for me when extra page appears.

gom

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »

Cheers for the help, Yes I've tried back and forward deletes, the show/hide dosn't display anything either. Never come across this one before, tried redoing the document and get the same result.

Then tried show hide again, got a carriage return symbol which i havn't seen before, deleted it and low and behold the second page disappeared. Tried it on the second document as i thought I've missed something obvious so i can do the same.............. back to square 1  ??? >:( what how err ? what the Bill gates is.......