Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 4K question?  (Read 8112 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
4K question?
« on: January 07, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »

Sorry if posted in the wrong forum.  :blush:

What speed's are acceptable to stream 4K to TV's?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: 4K question?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 04:28:39 PM »

Where are you streaming the 4K from?
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Samad

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 04:30:23 PM »

Sorry if posted in the wrong forum.  :blush:

What speed's are acceptable to stream 4K to TV's?

To stream in 4K Ultra HD with HDR, Netflix recommends you have a consistent minimum download speed of at least 25 megabits per second

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 05:33:41 PM »

Where are you streaming the 4K from?

I haven't yet.
I have Netflix, but have to upgrade the price for 4K I think. Which I haven't done yet.
I was just wondering  :)
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 05:36:48 PM »

To stream in 4K Ultra HD with HDR, Netflix recommends you have a consistent minimum download speed of at least 25 megabits per second

Thanks.
Yes, I have 75Mbs so OK there i guess.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 12:46:33 AM »

You’ve actually got a fair bit more headway - Netflix say 25Mbit, but their streams actually top out at about 16Mbit/sec for 4K + HDR (or Dolby Vision + Atmos)

Amazon Prime is similar, perhaps peaking a little higher.

The highest bitrate service I’ve seen is Apple TV+.  That runs at about 30Mbit/sec (although I’ve seen it hit about 40Mbit/sec on high-action/detail scenes).  Again, that’s 4K with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

(source: bandwidth monitoring via my pfSense router whilst watching each service on an Apple TV 4K)
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 04:33:20 AM »

I'm not entirely convinced you can measure peaks that way, although obviously peaks are kinda unimportant if its only for a few seconds then drops back down, as buffering will smooth it out anyway without any interruption.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »

I don’t have 4k on my Apple TV but even at HD, subjectively, picture quality on Apple TV+ is noticeably very good indeed and I’d say better than Netflix.  There does seem to be a lot of chatter on the web, supporting the assertion that they use better bitrates, and citing measurements similar to Displaced’s observations.

https://bgr.com/2019/11/05/apple-tv-plus-streaming-video-quality/

My connection is only ~25Mbps  and holds up fine but who knows, Apple TV+ might be stretching it, even though I don’t get 4K.   Picture I repeat does look noticeable better than other streams.  Unfortunately of course, that’s more than can be said about some of the acting. :D

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 10:50:46 AM »

You’ve actually got a fair bit more headway - Netflix say 25Mbit, but their streams actually top out at about 16Mbit/sec for 4K + HDR (or Dolby Vision + Atmos)

Amazon Prime is similar, perhaps peaking a little higher.

The highest bitrate service I’ve seen is Apple TV+.  That runs at about 30Mbit/sec (although I’ve seen it hit about 40Mbit/sec on high-action/detail scenes).  Again, that’s 4K with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

(source: bandwidth monitoring via my pfSense router whilst watching each service on an Apple TV 4K)

I have the LG OLED 55" B9,
Don't have Apple TV, but have Netflix and Prime. So far no problems with viewing any of them, including free Sat TV stations.
So yes, I guess my speed if up to the job. :fingers:

Thanks for the reply's guys
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:56:03 AM by roseway »

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 10:52:50 AM »

Erm, why is my post within the quoted blue square?
I think I did this before also. :blush:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 11:58:00 AM »

I've corrected it for you. After hitting the Quote button you should add your reply after the final quote
  Eric

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »

Thank you for that Eric.
unfortunately, you haven't corrected ALL of my post  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 01:52:53 PM »

I don’t have 4k on my Apple TV but even at HD, subjectively, picture quality on Apple TV+ is noticeably very good indeed and I’d say better than Netflix.  There does seem to be a lot of chatter on the web, supporting the assertion that they use better bitrates, and citing measurements similar to Displaced’s observations.

https://bgr.com/2019/11/05/apple-tv-plus-streaming-video-quality/

My connection is only ~25Mbps  and holds up fine but who knows, Apple TV+ might be stretching it, even though I don’t get 4K.   Picture I repeat does look noticeable better than other streams.  Unfortunately of course, that’s more than can be said about some of the acting. :D

AFAIK Netflix always have about 4 or so bitrates for any given resolution, thus you can stream 4K below their recommendation but it will be even more heavily compressed.

Anothing thing about Netflix is no two shows/movies or even episodes will be identical.  They have a quality target but will happily use a lower bitrate if they can get away with it, its kinda sad really as they could do better quality but choose not to.  I guess it makes sense to try to keep quality consistent so people don't complain.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 02:10:07 PM »

I read somewhere a while ago that sky reduced the quality of SD in order to make HD look better.
I guess they're all at it now. ::)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 05:41:37 AM »

I read somewhere a while ago that sky reduced the quality of SD in order to make HD look better.
I guess they're all at it now. ::)

That's a joke, as only a minority of channels were SD to begin with.  Same with HD, they often halve the width and let the box stretch it back out again, and that when I last checked probably 10 years ago now.  Seems this is the current way to check.

I'd be willing to bet some HD channels are closer to SD.  It does make streaming way more appealing though, as they actually use correct resolutions so look vastly superior to most Sky channels.  Plus there's the fact Sky use MPEG2 for SD, MPEG4 for HD vs streaming that can use far more efficient modern codecs and progressive scan, native frame-rates rather than interlaced PAL.

By far the biggest put off for me is I can't stand PAL speed up which is largely unavoidable on broadcast TV.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:44:40 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Pages: [1] 2 3