News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rain  (Read 1506 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Rain
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 05:18:09 PM »

Indeed, in the highlands the sheer amount of rain tests the ground and clears the paths for water constantly. The only real danger is mudslides like that one at Gleann Cuaiche on the mainland some while back, which was discussed in an earlier thread.

There is an enormous pond to the west of the house which forms whenever there is sustained rain. It’s at its maximum possible extent now and is probably draining straight towards the patch where my neighbour is building his new house. But the water all carries on past me as there’s a very small rise on the east side if the house diverting water to the south before it heads away downhill. Unfortunately we have no ducks at the moment to enjoy the pond; I miss seeing them, but the fox was way too fond of them so I’m loath to risk it again much as I long for their perpetually cheerful company.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »

The only real danger is mudslides like that one at Gleann Cuaiche on the mainland some while back, which was discussed in an earlier thread.

Ah, yes. The mudslide that "took out" a electricity pylon, a while back.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 06:14:55 PM »

Well remembered! Thank you   ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2020, 08:31:41 PM »

Rain had finally reduced the last couple of days. No longer torrential anyway. But today it was ridiculous at times and it’s raining now, hitting the bedroom window as I write this.

I’m glad the ground is not frozen anyway. That brings the risk of loss of water because of frozen delivery pipes from the borehole and the main water storage tank up on the bank - which provides ‘head’.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:58:50 PM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 [2]