Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Line issues, just distance or something else?  (Read 4787 times)

Hokum

Re: Line issues, just distance or something else?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 07:57:36 AM »

Current line data.
up to 10Mb but line seems worse than the previous!

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 01:11:15 PM »

Don't looks like fault was fixed?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 04:58:30 PM »

It does look as if there still is a defect in the metallic pathway.  :-\  But exactly what? I'm unsure.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »

If that was my line I will request to run brand new cable from pole to my property. Also if you share cable with neighbours what is their speed? Can you ask them to disconnect their broadband and telephone equipment for 10mins and do quick test. I believe the best option will be to pull out their master socket so no extensions in their house affect test. (if possible of course)

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 07:00:26 PM »

It does look as if there still is a defect in the metallic pathway.  :-\  But exactly what? I'm unsure.

Split pair?  It would explain the HLog being so steep and matching dip in QLN and SNR.

Hokum

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 08:45:06 PM »

Not my house, but I hound this thread, may be similar.
https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/One-Line-Feeding-Two-Houses/td-p/1950762
"Some dropwires have 2 pairs , so 2 lines can be delivered over it, if the dropwire goes to a central point where it is split with 1 pair going to address A and 1 pair going to address B , that’s acceptable, obviously should the dropwire from the hollow pole to the splitting point be damaged then 2 services could be lost, but obviously done this way there is only 1 dropwire from the pole rather than 2 in line of route ,"

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 09:03:12 PM »

Split pair?  It would explain the HLog being so steep and matching dip in QLN and SNR.

Hmm, yes. I hadn't thought of that possibility.  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 09:14:36 PM »

Not my house, but I hound this thread, may be similar.
https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/One-Line-Feeding-Two-Houses/td-p/1950762

Yes, that is how I imagined your situation to be. Nothing out of the ordinary and perfectly acceptable.

After taking a further look at that thread, I see our own licquorice has responded there in a similar fashion.  :)

Hokum

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 09:17:51 PM »

Wouldn't a split pair show up from the pulse generator they use to identify the lines?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »

Wouldn't a split pair show up from the pulse generator they use to identify the lines?

Not sure what you mean by a 'pulse generator' .... but the only way a split pair would show is if the AC Balance result was low on the 'Pair Quality Test', or the engineer manually breaks the circuit down at various places and tests the 'dead pair' for AC Balance.

The PQT test will report the AC Balance for the circuit in its entirety (From the house back to the Exchange), so you could have for example, a 100mtr section of split-pair cable nestled in a 3 mile long circuit, ergo the results wouldn't identify an issue.

Probably the hardest fault to work on, barring REIN, in the engineers remit.

*** Just had a thought - do you mean a 'Tone generator', to identify the line ?? If so, this unit performs just one function and one function only, to inject a low frequency tone into the circuit that we can identify with our amplifier. It has no indication as to whether  fault is present.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:38:44 PM by Black Sheep »

Hokum

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 09:44:37 PM »

Ahh, I had assumed the tone generator would send a voltage pulse down the two lines to be picked up at the pole or cabinet. Like I use for testing an RJ45 cable. that would pick up any poor wiring as you would know the initial voltage and then test along the line. I guess phone cabling isn't like network cabling then.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:52:45 PM by Hokum »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 10:06:07 PM »

Just musing . . .

Could it be the most simplest of faults, a wiring "mishap"? Assuming Dropwire 10B is in use (between the pole top DP and the two adjacent properties), that the orange & green wires have been used as pair one (to house A) and the white & black wires have been used for pair two (to house B)?  :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 10:08:12 PM »

Ahh, I had assumed the tone generator would send a voltage pulse down the two lines to be picked up at the pole or cabinet. Like I use for testing an RJ45 cable. that would pick up any poor wiring as you would know the initial voltage and then test along the line. I guess phone cabling isn't like network cabling then.

I would humbly suggest phone and network cabling are very similar, apart from the amount of twists per metre (Which in principle, is where the AC Balance figure is deduced) .... but the kit we use appears to be different ??? Ours is simply an 'indentifier' ... it allows you to find a pair amongst thousands of others.  :)

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2020, 10:16:50 PM »

As a matter of interest, how long is it from the pole to the modem... my gut feel is either 50m or 150m (I would like to say 150m as that would be what the qln leads me to think)

Hokum

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 07:32:15 AM »

Probably 50M max. 20M from pole to house plus then the wire running to the rear of the house where the cable enters.

I would humbly suggest phone and network cabling are very similar, apart from the amount of twists per metre (Which in principle, is where the AC Balance figure is deduced) .... but the kit we use appears to be different ??? Ours is simply an 'indentifier' ... it allows you to find a pair amongst thousands of others.  :)

Thanks, the tool I use, I don`t remember the brand off hand, it has the main hand held unit and a terminator unit. it can be used two ways,  1, plug in the hand held unit, then go to the other end, and if you don't know which cable, plug in till you hear beeping, (easier if you have patchsee cables and a light) then you can go to the hand held and get all sorts of useful info, Resistances, line lengths and synchronisation (mega useful for 10Gb networks), Plus the usual wiring errors like cross overs etc.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:45:31 AM by Hokum »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything