Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zyxel in modem-mode. One cable line stats help  (Read 3620 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: Zyxel in modem-mode. One cable line stats help
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 12:30:48 AM »

For me working without vlan tags but I use asus router.
Not sure if I can post link to other forum but I use this setup based on instructions for draytek and also working with zyxel:
"
Firstly, ensure the Draytek 130 Modem is on a different subnet to that of the ASUS router.
E.g
Draytek Vigor 130 – 192.168.2.1 (default)
ASUS Router – 192.168.1.1 (default)

(you can use whatever subnets you wish, just substitute your IP values to suit)

Then on the ASUS Router, go to Advance Settings > LAN > LAN IP and ensure IP address is 192.168.1.1
Then go to Advanced Settings > WAN >  Internet Settings and Select – Get the Wan IP Address Automatically, and select the No radial button, and manually enter ……

IP Address – 192.168.2.2 (Draytek Modems Spare IP Address)
Subnet – 255.255.255.0 (Draytek Modems Subnet Address)
Default Gateway 192.168.2.1 (Draytek Modem actual IP Address)

Note, WAN DNS may need to be added, I used Google’s
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Now you should be able to telnet to the Draytek Modem via 192.168.2.1 and via browser, Draytek Modem UI via http://192.168.2.1
"
Plus settings on zyxel from first post, and I can access with one cable to stats whether I use zyxel or draytek (just changing ip in asus as they got assigned different ip)

I am glad you detailed this method as my Asus was using a script to config the interface for the lan port in order to get 1 wire stats from my ZyXel VMG1312-B10A but using the fixed WAN config is a much more elegant solution and stays after a reboot.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 07:50:27 AM »

Glad someone find useful  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 10:31:17 AM »

I was under the impression that if you don't use VLAN tagging, you risk data leaking down the WAN side as it thinks its all the same network?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 11:38:18 AM »

Router actually get in access to modem by using static ip, if router don't indicate static ip no access to modem, in booth cases still wan access. Not sure what and when suppose to leak, properly configured firewall should give everyone peace of mind  ;)

sebus05

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 11:40:17 AM »

OK, that was easier than expected after all. Used this as a pointer: https://blog.dical.org/?p=22

On Zyxel still created Interface Group & Home Networking new IP address assigned to this Group, but there is no need for Vlan settings (as no Vlans are involved)
Then ofcourse on Mikrotik one needs to add correct route, and the same on Zyxel (for the new address)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:36:53 PM by sebus05 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 02:59:40 PM »

Personally I really don't like the idea of the LAN going over the same interface as WAN without a VLAN.

Surely some traffic must leak out as it has to pass unsolicited traffic in order for the PPPoE session to work?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sebus05

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 07:01:29 PM »

Most likely true, but there is no traffic happening often, I do not access web interface on Zyxel very often (not addicted to reading stats!), and if security is a concern (it is LAN only between modem & interface on Mikrotik, nothing more), I can quite easily specify a single machine as source and/or disable NAT rule & that is it, locked & shut

sebus

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 12:24:32 PM »

I thought I'd post here as a minor update... I appreciate it being a long time ago!

Somehow, I did manage to get it working eventually. Except, I don't know what I did that was different  :blush:
And then I decided to try changing the IP ranges of some of my internal network earlier this year, replicated the same on the modem... and it stopped working  :-\ Never to work again. It was nothing more than an IP range change.

Unfortunately, I never got round to deploying a two-cable solution before Cadent very kindly started digging the gas pipes up around here either - lesson learnt not to procrastinate, as inevitably it resulted in a broken leg for my line. Good response by my ISP and OR though - resolved within 26 hours of reporting it and more importantly before the freshly dug holes had even been filled back in.

I'm almost certain the config issue lies with the Zxyel and not pfSense - but I've now got a BT Hub 5A on it's way to throw OpenWRT on and test things out - much like Alex Atkin UK has going on. Or just stick with the two wire solution!
Pages: 1 [2]

anything