Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IoT == <what?>  (Read 4313 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
IoT == <what?>
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:52:07 AM »

Is IoT exactly the same thing as M2M ? How would you define "IoT" ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: IoT == <what?>
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 05:36:33 PM »

How would you define "IoT" ?

I always thought it was just an idiot who had lost a "di" . . .  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 05:42:45 PM »

:'( :no: Mrs Weaver said "groan" too.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 05:45:54 PM »

b*cat goes to hide behind the dustbin.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 08:47:28 PM »

I found an explanation here:
...to put it simply, IoT is a network of everyday devices that are connected to the internet. The purpose of IoT is to make our processes more accurate and efficient.

M2M is driven by IoT and is the process in which two ‘things’ (connected devices) traverse data between them. This allows us to automate almost any process and eradicate the need for human interaction.

Thanks for asking the question, Weaver: I've learnt something new today!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 08:57:00 PM »

What an odd description, how does IoT improve accuracy, of what exactly?

I'd also argue efficiency is BS, having to have my light bulbs hooked up to the Internet to turn them on and off is FAR from efficient when they used to be able to work over the LAN.  Having to use cloud providers vs just VPN into my LAN is LESS efficient/secure IMO.

IoT is about integration, which is presumably where you can argue its more efficient as I can have one device control everything as I don't have to care about the many APIs that will be used to reach my actual devices.  Its mainly about providing a plug and play setup for people who have no clue about networking, which is arguably also where its a huge risk as you're trusting the manufacturers to handle the security. (spoiler alert, many are utterly incompetent at it)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 10:28:35 PM »

To my mind, which may not be typical, M2M is about functionality.   For example when I press a button on the wall, or in my car, or even if I just drive up close,  the garage door opens.   Similarly If I want to change to colour of the ceiling lights - I press a button, and it happens.

IoT is more about centralisation of data and control.   My fridge might identify (from rfi tags on cartons) and climatic conditions  that my milk might be going mouldy, and so it might communicate with my supermarket App (If I used one) and add milk to my next home delivery order.   My Smart Meter, if I had one, might identify that I’m boiling the kettle rather often and, having checked current retail prices online, send a text to my phone suggesting I would save money drinking beer rather than coffee.

::)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 01:15:18 AM »

I don't believe the middle-class exists and even I find that extremely middle-class.  :lol:

I keep my milk in a colder than average fridge so it lasts WAY past its date, automating everything just risks becoming an even more wasteful society than we already are as people stop thinking for themselves.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »

I don't believe the middle-class exists and even I find that extremely middle-class.  :lol:

I keep my milk in a colder than average fridge so it lasts WAY past its date, automating everything just risks becoming an even more wasteful society than we already are as people stop thinking for themselves.

Too late!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 03:47:23 PM »

But a fridge that’s clever enough could also over-ride the carton’s marked expiry date.  The algorithm might be based on a combination of date of supply from the RFID chip, ambient outdoors temperature from Met Office statistics (being exposed during briefly during the shopping trip), and actual fridge temperature. :)

That said, one disclaimer.... milk does have a ‘use by date’, rather than ‘best before’.  As a rule,‘best before’ can be taken with a pinch of salt, whereas ‘use by’ such as marked on the milk in my fridge, should be taken more seriously.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 05:29:04 PM »

But a fridge that’s clever enough could also over-ride the carton’s marked expiry date.  The algorithm might be based on a combination of date of supply from the RFID chip, ambient outdoors temperature from Met Office statistics (being exposed during briefly during the shopping trip), and actual fridge temperature. :)

That said, one disclaimer.... milk does have a ‘use by date’, rather than ‘best before’.  As a rule,‘best before’ can be taken with a pinch of salt, whereas ‘use by’ such as marked on the milk in my fridge, should be taken more seriously.

Yeah I know the difference between Use By and Best Before, but even the Use By is based on being stored in accordance to the instructions, average fridge temperature.  Mine is set so cold, sometimes the top of the milk freezes.

A big problem as well is home delivery doesn't guarantee a good date.  What good is a weekly shop when there is only a slim chance of your delivery having a week on its date.  >:(

Like I said, automating shopping is clearly a very middle-class idea, because it doesn't factor in budget shopping or the complexity of allergies, reactions with medication, etc.  When not all items even have their ingredients itemised as it is, its a far more complex issue for some of us than is being made out.  Then there is the fact our deliveries are also based around the cheapest delivery date/time.  They can't even manage suitable substitutions when you are directly interacting on the website, how is an automated system going to work?

It would take a huge shift in how home delivery is done for it to be automated as everything expires on different days, plus how does it factor in best before dates, where you get a few days leeway?

They've been talking about RFID tags to automatically detect what is in your fridge/pantry for over a decade already.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 06:21:01 PM »

I would hope that ‘best before’ dates would be completely ignored, and that such a system would never suggest restocking based on that parameter alone.   IMHO the correct way of assessing significance of such a date is to delegate any decision to one’s senses of smell and taste.   

That said, the Intelligent Fridge or Larder might one day incorporate taste and smell sensors.  Or it might use a learning process, based on past behaviour.   But tastes vary so it might first confirm the identity of the home’s current occupants, gained from communications with the home security cameras, in combination with a vast online database of facial recognition profiles.  Maybe  crowd-sourced from completely trustworthy data gatherers such as Google and Apple.

The larder might then identify, from facial recognition, that a particular person is present in my home.  After a series of transactions with that person’s own larder, my larder might detect a potential issue, perhaps that my visitor generally discards baked beans after a year or two.  In that situation, if all of my tins of beans are many years older, my larder might suggest I replace them or at least, avoid serving them to my visitor.

BTW, I have never used a home delivery service.  And my fridge is completely dumb. :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 07:38:28 PM »

b*cat has been discretely smiling at some of the latter posts to this topic and feels that he should state that he would not tolerate any interference by some glorified bot. Nothing I currently own or, indeed, that I may own in the future will be "intelligent".

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »

I spent the last week filling in tons of recaptchas, as such the idea of suggesting that Google are a "trustworthy source" makes me  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When it tells me I got them wrong because I didn't select a motorbike as bicycle, van as a bus, bike lane as a crosswalk.  Not to mention the complete mess that is the YouTube algorythm.

So no, I don't think were even close with AI and its only going to get worse when they use the public to train the system.  People are going to false flag things just be awkward and screw up the system.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 09:09:47 PM »

Somehow I think my attempts at humour in this thread might be getting taken too seriously.

False flagging is nothing new.  I remember being stopped in the street by a lady with a clipboard, who wanted to ask me questions about my TV viewing habits, there being only BBC 1/2 and ITV in these days.  I resented the intrusion, so I assured her I was a big fan of ITV and had watched no other channels in the past week.

She seemed doubtful and asked me to confirm my answer, before noting it.   Thing is, it was 1979, in the middle of a long strike by ITV technical staff.  The only thing broadcast on ITV, for weeks on end, was the test card. :D

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:11:53 PM by sevenlayermuddle »
Pages: [1] 2