Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach Huawei 4 port ONT model  (Read 7277 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach Huawei 4 port ONT model
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »

Openreach don't supply these anymore.

Openreach will not activate hardware a customer acquires themselves.

Openreach will activate a second 1+1 or, more likely by April, 1+0 ONT if the CBT has the space.

If it does not - tough basically. The CP can place a reactive order for further capacity though of course that's entirely at Openreach's discretion.  :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »

Will that house you're supposed to be buying ever get built Carl? Been > 12 months hasn't it?  :o Who's the developer out of interest?

It's actually now built and having final finish applied. Will wonders never cease?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 09:59:50 AM »

Colour me amused.

I have never been in the property, so had no idea what was in there, however the older former-show home had a 4 port Huawei, the newer show home a single port so it stood to reason that as our plot was built after the second show home we'd have the 1+1 ONT.

Apparently not - service went live today, ready for our move and..

ONT exists with active service. A spare port is available.

It's evidently a 4+2 unit - they must have purchased ONTs a while back and had some in stock. Nice. :lol:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:08:37 AM by CarlT »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 10:26:43 AM »

Colour me amused.

I have never been in the property, so had no idea what was in there, however the older former-show home had a 4 port Huawei, the newer show home a single port so it stood to reason that as our plot was built after the second show home we'd have the 1+1 ONT.

Apparently not - service went live today, ready for our move and..

It's evidently a 4+2 unit - they must have purchased ONTs a while back and had some in stock. Nice. :lol:

Someone at Openreach going "oh no, its him, quick put a 4+2 unit in"?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »

What’s the total feed bandwidth typically into an entire FTTP cab? I was wondering about all those many dozens of users ?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »

In the case of new build each 30 premises passed share 2.488 Gbps downstream, 1.244 Gbps upstream.

This is physical layer rate not what may actually be carried as useful goodput.

After overheads, etc, you're closer to 2.1-2.2 Gbps down, 1.05-1.1 Gbps up.

Overbuild/brownfield FTTP same planning guidelines I believe though they may initially combine the premises so more are sharing the bandwidth and split the PONs as take up rises.

Either way no more than 30 connected premises per OLT port with the numbers above, so the many dozens of users are actually no more than 2.5 dozen sharing each port.

Should a PON saturate Openreach options are the same as VM's - add more capacity to the PON via XGSPON overlay and WDM or reduce the premises passed and in turn customers connected to the PON by placing half of it on a new port.

I mention XGSPON specifically as the burst optics required to support it are at the cost point where skimping and going with asymmetrical XGPON is not really worthwhile anymore, the only caveat is that using XGSPON over XGPON reduces the ports per line card in half right now though I'm sure that'll change.

EDIT: Just to clarify: yes, selling a gigabit upstream over GPON as Vodafone/CityFibre are is really pushing your luck however GPON shares bandwidth and congests more gracefully than the DoCSIS used in cable networks so some saturation isn't a problem.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:52:14 AM by CarlT »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 05:21:33 PM »

False alarm. It's a 1+1. The records are wrong.

Oh well. Lots to do at the new place before I can deal with this.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »

False alarm. It's a 1+1. The records are wrong.

::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 11:52:10 AM »

FTTP active.

Thinking of one particular user here who fetishises over it no, it isn't live changing when you have moved from ultrafast beforehand.

It's an Internet connection, not a revolution. Will make far more of a difference to those unfortunate people stuck on standard broadband or even slower and superfast.

TL;DR my life hasn't suddenly improved because my Internet comes in over pure fibre. It has improved thanks to the new house though!  :clap:

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »

FTTP active.

Thinking of one particular user here who fetishises over it no, it isn't live changing when you have moved from ultrafast beforehand.

It's an Internet connection, not a revolution. Will make far more of a difference to those unfortunate people stuck on standard broadband or even slower and superfast.

TL;DR my life hasn't suddenly improved because my Internet comes in over pure fibre. It has improved thanks to the new house though!  :clap:

Although if you happen to be at home a lot, e.g. work from home or another reason such as a disability or retired, then the improved reliability is something significant (especially so if you had a line with an intermittent fault which Openreach couldn't resolve) and also knowing that your minimum latency and/or 'sync rate' isn't going to change at a minutes notice due to changing line conditions, a storm or DLM interference. Of course there are still other potential factors, like ISP congestion, which FTTP itself won't resolve if that happens but yeah. Essentially, short of possible congestion at some point, you get the service you pay for rather than DSL being somewhat dynamic and still paying the same price purely based on an 'up to' speed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:49:32 PM by Ixel »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 07:25:38 PM »

Although if you happen to be at home a lot, e.g. work from home or another reason such as a disability or retired, then the improved reliability is something significant (especially so if you had a line with an intermittent fault which Openreach couldn't resolve) and also knowing that your minimum latency and/or 'sync rate' isn't going to change at a minutes notice due to changing line conditions, a storm or DLM interference. Of course there are still other potential factors, like ISP congestion, which FTTP itself won't resolve if that happens but yeah. Essentially, short of possible congestion at some point, you get the service you pay for rather than DSL being somewhat dynamic and still paying the same price purely based on an 'up to' speed.

Indeed.  As both me and my mum are disabled and rarely get out of the house, its a pretty big deal.

As both my hands and my mental state can change, then being able to immediately jump into playing a game can be the difference between playing it or not.  FTTP potentially means I no longer need to worry about keeping everything installed, or a big update taking so long to install that by the time its finished I'm no longer in a fit state to play it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »

Latency and jitter are improved substantially over VM, mind.

--- www.bbc.net.uk ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9011ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 7.910/8.145/8.368/0.136 ms

From West Yorkshire.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything