Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VMG8x24 reboots / re-syncs every 3 weeks?  (Read 841 times)

RTouris

VMG8x24 reboots / re-syncs every 3 weeks?
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:14:06 PM »

Hi all,

been happily using a VMG8924-B10A in bridge mode with johnson's modified 1.00(AKKL.24)C0 f/w with support for baby jumbo frames and multiple telnet sessions for quite some time now on a as-of-late fully vectored VDSL FTTC line. Lately I began realising a peculiar pattern that emerges every 3 weeks or so...so what happens is that the modem UI becomes unresponsive and consequently a few hours later it either performs a self-reboot or a re-sync at which point the UI becomes responsive once again...This is also obvious and is getting logged in DSLstats as there's no stats crawled, since the app either cannot login via telnet to the box or does so but doesn't receive any stats so the respective time-sensitive graphs show morse-like gaps in them..

From the top of my head this has always been the case eversince I installed this modem in bridge mode more than a year ago, however I only recently got an FTTC rock-solid connection and in the past I'd attribute this to the somewhat bad line stats, or due to the fact that the modem would loose sync somewhere in between the 3-weeks period, the issue wouldn't manifest as it now does..

I'm just sharing this here to see if it's been reported by others with this setup, too..Could this be attributed to the modified f/w or is it inherent with the factory defaults installs, too?

While at the subject of DSLstats is there any way to adjust the Upstream SNRM (clipping) under SNRM per Band for it to show values exceeding 42dB, which seems to be the max i can get for the y-axis under my current window size configuration for scaled snapshots (1000x380px)? I'm currently sitting at 45dB so said graph shows nothing at all..

Many thanks!

[edit]

Looking through the changelog I'm seeing:

- Modifications in V1.00(AAKL.25)b1
...7. [eITS# 180600458][VMG8324-B10A] V1.00(AAKL.24)C0 random reboots

Granted what I'm experiencing is not random per se, but rather a reoccurring pattern about every 3 weeks, still this gives a hint as to what I might expect updating to v.28...

In all, is there any drawbacks going from v.24 to .v28 that I should be on the lookout for? I'm running a 'factory unlocked' / unbranded VMG8924, having in the past flashed the modified johnson f/w.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:52:12 PM by RTouris »

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: VMG8x24 reboots / re-syncs every 3 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 12:13:15 AM »

I just got an 8924 last week so cant comment on the 3 week reboot but there are some bugs in the connection GUI of V28 when naming computers connected to the WAP as I am using it. When you rename a computer the GUI hangs after applying the name change and a page refresh is required. All the other type of items, speakers, routers etc are easily renamed without GUI hang.

I shall be watching for a 3 week hang, so far only been up 3 days.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 08:45:36 AM »

I've been using my 8924 in standard modem/router config for some time and am using the stock V28 firmware. In this config it happily stays up for months on end. I agree with @banger about renaming computers in the GUI - it's very flaky and sometimes works and other times hangs the GUI, requiring a page refresh.
Another quirk I've found is that IPV6 doesn't reinstate itself following a DLM initiated resync - I have to reapply the VDSL settings (without changing anything) to get it working again. This doesn't happen following a full power-on boot, only if the VDSL drops from the cabinet end.
I've tried lots of other modem/routers over the years and always seem to come back to this one as it syncs at the best speed on my longish (circa 800m) line and just seems to be a decent, reliable device.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 09:28:44 AM »

Hi all,

been happily using a VMG8924-B10A in bridge mode with johnson's modified 1.00(AKKL.24)C0 f/w with support for baby jumbo frames and multiple telnet sessions for quite some time now on a as-of-late fully vectored VDSL FTTC line. Lately I began realising a peculiar pattern that emerges every 3 weeks or so...so what happens is that the modem UI becomes unresponsive and consequently a few hours later it either performs a self-reboot or a re-sync at which point the UI becomes responsive once again...This is also obvious and is getting logged in DSLstats as there's no stats crawled, since the app either cannot login via telnet to the box or does so but doesn't receive any stats so the respective time-sensitive graphs show morse-like gaps in them..

While I cant rule out the FW as the cause it seems unlikely. If you are using the old V24 firmware with just jumbo frames and the old telnetd binary I cant see a mechanism for a memory leak or some such that could cause a lock up weeks after a reboot, at least from the changes from stock firmware.

If you wanted to be forensic you could flash the stock V24 and wait 3 weeks, but if it were me I'd just move on to the V28 given what you have noticed in the changelog.

RTouris

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 12:40:10 PM »

Thanks for the replies all...Since my last post I've upgraded to a modified v.28 with support for jumbo frames, the old telnet binarty and the updated adsl_phy x6 driver, so I will keep this updated in due time if need be with my findings..

anything