Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR tweaking  (Read 2449 times)

wrs589

SNR tweaking
« on: July 06, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »

Normally, my sync is 7616 Interleaved with a 8.0db SNR margin.
However when using DMT to tweak target SNR, i found out at 150% my SNR margin rises to 10db and I maintain the full 7616 sync.

Im using ADSL24 with Netgear DG824GT

Am i correct in thinking I am making my line more stable or am I tricking myself somehow?
Will this help me get a better line if I do it when I get Be ADSL2+ activated on Wednesday?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: SNR tweaking
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:31:28 PM »

I've no personal experience of ADSL2+, but a rather think that it would be best to start off with no tweaking and see how it goes. You'll certainly get a faster connection than at present, then if it proves not to be very stable you could tweak the margin up a bit and sacrifice a bit of speed for more stability.

With your present situation, on the face of it the tweaking shouldn't make any difference to the stability if you're still connecting at the same speed, but perhaps it changes the way the bins are allocated so you get a higher noise margin. I don't really know the answer to that one.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SNR tweaking
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:05:31 PM »

>>> Normally, my sync is 7616 Interleaved with a 8.0db SNR margin.
>>> However when using DMT to tweak target SNR, i found out at 150% my SNR margin rises to 10db and I maintain the full 7616 sync.

Not much point tweaking right now since youre already at the maximum for an interleaved adsl1 line, so you wont see the true effects of what youve done.
All I can say is that by tweaking up the SNR then it proves that you have got spare for higher speeds than you get now for when youre on adsl2+

When you get Be, leave it at the default whilst it goes through the training phrase and see how the line performs.  Be are a lot more flexible in what changes they will make for you, and although they have their own DLM, its not the same as BTw and at least theres no IPprofile if things go wrong for a short while.

By all means post your stats on Wed and we'll have a look then.
Good luck for Weds :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker