Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anything to gain from upgrading HG612 on an ECI line?  (Read 1585 times)

mmotti

• Just arrived
Anything to gain from upgrading HG612 on an ECI line?
« on: January 12, 2020, 12:38:10 PM »

Hi,

I know this question may be somewhat familiar but I don't want to hijack someone else's thread to ask a question.

I currently have an eBay HG612 3B sitting on an ECI line that's currently syncing at 79987/20000 (after recent DLN reset). These sync speeds have remained the same after around a week. Having looked at the stats, I don't believe G.INP is active on my line... At least according to dslstats. My package is max 73/20 FTTC so nothing spectacular.

Is there anything I can expect to gain, moreso with throughput, by upgrading to something like a Draytek Vigor 130? I know these boxes are old and what not but I'm struggling to justify spending £80 on something that may or may not make any difference?

Being that we are now in 2020 and the openreach boxes are aging further, is there any sense in upgrading it?

Cheers!

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Anything to gain from upgrading HG612 on an ECI line?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »

Hi

Nothing to gain really as you are already syncing at the fastest speed possible.  You will not get G.INP on ECI as far as I know as it isn't supported due to some hardware issue with ECI VDSL.

Regards

Phil

mmotti

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 06:33:39 PM »

Thanks, Phil! In that case, it certainly doesn't make any sense to spend any money on upgrading it whilst it's still functioning without issue.

Cheers!

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 09:25:34 PM »

Just to add that G.INP can work on ECI cabinets, it did on my line until it was withdrawn. I had no issues with it at all. There was a rumour that it was because of some end users equipment which did not work well. As I said it was flawless on my line to an ECI cabinet and I was syncing at around 71mbps for the whole time. I was exceedingly frustrated when it was removed.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 10:58:55 AM »

Hi

Same experience here, it worked fine for me as well.  Now on FTTP so don't need to worry about such things. 

Regards

Phil

anything