Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Clean-up of line  (Read 800 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Clean-up of line
« on: January 02, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »

Here’s the state of my lines :
Live sync rates:
  #1: down 3132 kbps, up 515 kbps
  #2: down 2968 kbps, up 519 kbps
  #3: down 3187 kbps, up 416 kbps
  #4: down 3158 kbps, up 531 kbps

Speed tests done with speedtest2.aa.net.uk give :
    IPv6 10.86 Mbps down; 1.58 Mbps up
    IPv4 10.82 Mbps down; 1.58 Mbps up (all the above need correcting for the overhead of TCP and IP, I would think, which would give higher numbers) : (sum = 12445) * (0.884434 protocol efficiency) = 11007 kbps, needs reducing a bit for headers so 10.86 is good!)

Ookla speed tester app, via test server “Cloud ConnX Eastbourne”:
    10.6 Mbps downstream, 1.52 Mbps upstream

All those lines being so fast downstream, 300k downstream sync more than usual, and holding up stable for so long, 12 days to present, is very unusual. So what’s going on? Well this is all after the month of hell and the many subsequent repairs, going on for weeks. Openreach has traffic lights set up in the centre of Broadford on the main road too; don’t know what that’s about, unlikely to be related. I’m thinking all the repairs must have ‘cleaned the lines up’ somehow; fixing bad joints maybe. Is this a reasonable guess?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:25:38 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Clean-up of line
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 06:02:53 PM »

. . . this is all after the month of hell and the many subsequent repairs, going on for weeks. Openreach has traffic lights set up in the centre of Broadford on the main road too; don’t know what that’s about, unlikely to be related.

I thought that there had been a serious zap of some of the E-side cables exiting NSBFD in that storm incident?

I’m thinking all the repairs must have ‘cleaned the lines up’ somehow; fixing bad joints maybe. Is this a reasonable guess?

Yes, that will be the case. If you remember there was an Openreach team, working down a hole, near the Harapul fank (hope I've used the correct spelling) that made a significant improvement to your four circuits.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Clean-up of line
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 09:31:57 PM »

It’s really quite a big deal, nearly 8% in downstream sync, nothing in upstream, although the worst offender the duff line 3 u/s is perhaps less awful now.

I agree about a ‘serious zap’. I remember mention of ‘soot’.