Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNRM slowly drops as the days go on  (Read 818 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
SNRM slowly drops as the days go on
« on: December 31, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »

I recently capped my sync speed to 50 Mbps in order to try and reduce the error rate and try to achieve rtx low.

The modem synced at 49998 kbps with an SNRM of 9dB. The SNRM dropped overnight by about 1dB - but it never recovered up to the 9dB it originally synced at, instead returning to a slightly lower level.

The modem has now been up for 4 days and the SNRM during the day is now at 7.5dB, so its highest is now 1.5dB lower than when the modem synced.

I'm using a Huawei HG612, what exactly is happening here?

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: SNRM slowly drops as the days go on
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 03:52:26 PM »

Hi

Could be any number of things.  Overnight some other lines might have had their profile changed and they dropped and resync'd, maybe using a slightly higher power so they cross talk more with you.  The general noise profile might have become worse overnight, this could be due to anything really.  Or, could be as simple as someone went away for the holidays and turned their modem off and arrived back overnight and turned it on again causing some cross-talk that wasn't there when you first sync'd up.

Also modems continually adjust themselves as noise changes meaning the SNR reported changes.

xDSL as a data connection is never static, conditions constantly change and so do the parameters we see reported.   

Regards

Phil

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: SNRM slowly drops as the days go on
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 10:32:07 PM »

It will either be increased noise, or tones been disabled via bitswapping.

If tones get disabled you lose useable signal.  This will show up as reduced SNRM.