Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Channel 5:Fort William to Mallaig train  (Read 2125 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Channel 5:Fort William to Mallaig train
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 08:49:01 AM »

There’s this thing. Something to do with Harry Potter. A view of Gleann Fhionnáin was used as source in making a CGI-constructed scene; so fans of the films can go and see something familiar, so that attracts yet more visitors and travellers.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 09:49:24 AM »

Yes the TV prog shows off the ‘Harry Potter’ viaduct.   I bow to Weaver’s linguistic skills but worth mentioning that it is also more commonly known simply as ’Glenfinnan’.

I’ve never made that journey myself but one tip I picked from somebody who has... if the viaduct is key to your enjoyment, try hard to get a seat on the side that looks into the radius of curvature, else you may not see much of it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »

Iirc that means a seat on the south side; that is the left hand side when going to Mallaig and rhs when coming away from Mallaig.

The English reflects an older simpler form of the words. Some confusing changes have happened in some dialects, some greater some less and I’m quoting Skye Gaelic (or Skye-Harris-Uibhist Gaelic [not Lewis Gaelic, which is radically different, very weird and hard to understand, and more like Welsh in some respects, indeed has been mistaken for Welsh on the radio])

The last syllable should be pronounced like ’Anne’ in a Northern accent not like the last syllable of ‘onion’, ‘Alan’ or ‘baron’/‘barren’ (the vowel called schwa in linguistics), so a clear [a] vowel not an unstressed English/Welsh/Gaelic vowel (again, a schwa). I put an acute accent on the a to mark this not-schwa distinction; -án from an earlier < *-ān (< *-agn- # eg *-agnos or maybe from *-akn-#, in a word ending) which is a former long vowel now shortened in Scottish Gaelic but still distinct from the former short a vowel which has indeed now been reduced to a schwa in this situation.

Just to confuse everyone, the start of the word Fhionn is (now) pronounced like English ‘you’ followed by a dental n (one where your tongue tip touches the tip of your upper teeth). That’s what Wikipedia claims for some unknown dialect, and people do actually say that but I’m not sure about this particular mainland dialect. There are or were some native speakers living at the southern end of Loch Seile some distance to the south. The written form <fh> is silent or /j/ as in German J (y) or very rarely /h/, and amazingly never like f. This h in fh means that it would be pronounced as an /f/ normally but for change imposed by environment and grammatically rules. All h markers following consonants indicate changes in the consonant sound but the h’s are not pronounced; like escape sequence markers. I don’t pronounce it as it says in Wikipedia but then what do I know.

BTW The great poet Alasdair Mac Mhaighstir Alasdair came from around here, again a few miles to the south.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:35:08 PM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything