Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Channel 5:Fort William to Mallaig train  (Read 2113 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Channel 5:Fort William to Mallaig train
« on: December 31, 2019, 12:43:07 AM »

I’ve just finished watching a program I recorded on Channel 5 yesterday, “World’s most scenic rail journey”,  from Fort William to Mallaig.  Supposedly “minute by minute” which I took to mean ‘Real Time’ and indeed it seemed to be real time, albeit stretched by the multiple long advert breaks, which I could skip as I’d recorded it.

As well as train-mounted cameras they used aerial photography sometimes, presumably a helicopter rather than a drone as it stayed airborne the whole journey.  That, imho, was cheating a bit, and not very eco-friendly, but I’ll forgive them as worth it for the views.

And unlike so much modern TV & film it doesn’t matter if you doze off for a bit, as you can still pick up the plot when you awaken.  Recommended.  Best TV I’ve seen this Christmas. :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Channel 5:Fort William to Mallaig train
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 06:44:53 AM »

I watched the last ten minutes, had been watching a recording of location location, which was local to us. A couple were looking at buying in Herne Bay and wanted a see view. They got all excited about one house on the sea front that had a see view, no idea why it was so special as it was just sea meets horizon - boring and nothing really to see in my mind. Then for some reason the recording ended, so we switched to whatching the railway. Now there was some amazing views worth paying for in there, some where you had sea and islands together, spectacular views.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 08:53:19 AM »

I can’t see Mallaig from my house as the moors of the Sléibhte peninsula of Skye are just in the way, but I can see the hills of Cnoideart immediately next door (to the north) as their height makes them visible given my great height. I’ve done that train journey a few times, when going to Glasgow airport to fly to Ireland. Usually though I have driven that route (a lot) when coming up from the south and as the road is parallel to the train line you are effectively following the same route in the car as in the train for the most part. I have lost count how many times I have driven it over the last 25 years. I used to enjoy the ferry crossing but in recent years they have changed to put a tiny crappy boat in service which means no proper lounge to sit in and enjoy the views comfortably and no coffee and CalMac although you do still get “Tha an sgiobair agus an sgioba a’ cur fàilte oirbh air bòrd … xxx” - at least that is intact. In view of the nastiness of the current boat now and the choppy crossing I strongly recommend switching to the bridge. It may have improved since I last went, which was to hospital in Fort William. The Mallaig-Glasgow run is 5 hours. There’s a mid day train from Glasgow and a boat at around 6 pm.

The northern train line is very beautiful, from Inbhir Nis to Caol Loch Aillse (anglicised as ‘Kyle of Lochalsh’), in my view no less so, and I have done that journey on the train a dozen times or more. I definitely recommend doing both in time but for now stick to the northern journey.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:00:31 AM by Weaver »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 09:09:18 AM »

In view of the nastiness of the current boat now and the choppy crossing I strongly recommend switching to the bridge.

the boat from Oban to Barra is equally (if not more) nasty. unfortunately there is no bridge option (yet).

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 09:42:11 AM »

I watched the last ten minutes, had been watching a recording of location location, which was local to us. A couple were looking at buying in Herne Bay and wanted a see view. They got all excited about one house on the sea front that had a see view, no idea why it was so special as it was just sea meets horizon - boring and nothing really to see in my mind. Then for some reason the recording ended, so we switched to whatching the railway. Now there was some amazing views worth paying for in there, some where you had sea and islands together, spectacular views.

We lived in Herne Bay for 22 years prior to moving here. Yes the sea in quiet times is very boring, my favourite time especially at Herne Bay was when we had a good NE gale blowing in winter then the sea is at its best visually. I do understand why people love the sea - I do - and would always want to live close to it. It's difficult to explain though it's just a good feeling.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 01:09:03 PM »

I have the sea on both sides of the house, to the east between Skye and the mainland mountains Looking into Loch Shubhairne (from my bedroom window) and out to the Atlantic to the south west towards the Island of Rùm (from the guest bedroom window). I’m glad to be roughly a mile away from it though and 118 m above it. It gets ridiculously wild here sometimes and I spent five months in the house on the shore at very roughly 10 ft elevation. It’s not good being too close to the sea and especially being too low down; the great height and and a comfortable distance are both extremely reassuring. Can see the sea but it stays where it ought to be rather than coming into the house. In Jan 2005 we had a 120+ mph hurricane here with people being killed. So that’s the reason I’m pleased about the height away from the worst action. Actually I would not mind a house on the shore at all as long as I had an alternate dwelling to go to if the forecast was at all dodgy; so the answer would have to be two house, a zero feet one and a high one.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »

Yes the sea can be immensely powerful in storms, even down here, in the storms in the eighties it almost destroyed a concrete/brick shop at Dumpton Gap, the beach huts consigned to driftwood.

Weaver, if you want a house by the sea, take a look at pictures 1 & 2 at the top of the page (number 5 in the list) here, it's on the coast on the Isle of Sky, not quite sure where but staggering views and if I remember correctly the window is very strong to withstand the gales and sea. It's actually in Amadale- Black House, Isle of Skye

This is the house they we're looking at buying in Location Location, it was a revisited episode from 2017/18 I think, and the house was up for £700,000 - in my opinion well over priced, no rear garden, no off street parking , and a rather dull see view (maybe that's tarnished because I've lived close to the see in Thanet all my life) in my opinion. There are also much better houses, with see views for the same money around our way.

On the other hand, a view like this has is so much better, so much more to see.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 02:51:33 PM »

Out of interest I've just been looking at how house prices have changed over the years in Herne Bay, using our old house as an example. It has gone up by a factor of just over 24x since 1975 when we moved there and if I look at the increase from 1975 to 1998 when we left it only went up by just over 6 times. Now our house was not on the sea front. In real terms our old house has gone up by £249000 in the past 20 years! Prices here in Broadstairs have actually gone up more than in Herne Bay over the past 20 years, an estimate on the place we now live in which was purchased for slightly less than we sold our old one for shows an increase of around  £350000! No wonder the likes of our grandkids will struggle to get on the property ladder in years to come!

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 05:28:19 PM »

Thats incredible Stuart, just been looking on Zoopla, our friends which live in the same road as you paid £51k back in 99, Zoopla now thinks it's worth £291k - £356k, incredible really, it's not what I'd call a big house.

I think first time buyers will need to be aiming for terrace houses or flats to get on the ladder these days (which is actually what most people did when I bought my first house), whilst prices have increased a lot, so have wages  - my first job in 86 paid £50 a week, my daughters first full time job will pay over seven times that when she starts next year, although it's a totally different job to mine that I could never do. Actually a better comparison would be our apprentice we had in 2014, allowing for wages rise for the last five years his wages would have been almost 6 times what I was earning when I started. People just need to learn to save a deposit.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 05:51:02 PM »

I know it's frightening when you start to look at wages, when I started work in late 1966 my pay was about £15.00 per week which was quite a lot then, when we bought our first house in Tonbridge I was earning around £1100 per year (in 1970), when we moved to Herne Bay in 1975 I had £20-£30 per month left from my monthly salary to spend on extras after we paid the mortgage and all other outgoings like travel to work, housekeeping etc, that had to cover clothes for all 4 of us (by then) and any extras which were not many. Point was it was manageable if we were careful and budgeted which is something I think folks do not always do these days. I'm quite pleased to say that in all my working life I've never had an overdraft, if we wanted something it had to be saved for.

Getting a tad off topic now ;)

Stuart

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 11:27:24 AM »

On the web somewhere?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 11:52:44 AM »

If you're referring to the video, then search "Jacobite Steam Train" on you tube

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »

The programme is on channel 5 catchup tv
https://www.channel5.com/show/britains-most-scenic-railway-journey-minute-by-minute/
next airing on Saturday 5.10
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »

Zoopla
Still off topic. 
Not used that site before, OMG just looked at our village and there is one on the outskirts of our village for £1.1 M  :silly:
That's only a 4 Bed, we have 8 in the main house and 2/3 Beds in the Flat.   ;D   :dance:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 06:18:24 AM »

I take you've owned the house for some years, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise if you ever down size.
Pages: [1] 2