Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sales in the new year à la Black Friday  (Read 1555 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Sales in the new year à la Black Friday
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 08:10:24 PM »

Amazon are advertising an ~£800 Apple watch reduced to ~£500.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »

Amazon are advertising an ~£800 Apple watch reduced to ~£500.

I haven’t seen that listed but, assuming it’s a current model, I’m sure it’s good value if you need a high end variant.

Stress again though, are we sure it’s latest model, series 5?

Personally, I don’t need the high-end watch.   If I had any reason to replace my 4 year old watch I’d just pop down to the Apple store and get a basic series 5 for ~£400...  £100 cheaper than Amazon’s ‘reduced’ price.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 10:23:22 AM »

It might not be series 5, gold plated watch body and gold strap. Missed it now anyway, last midnight. Definitely worth keeping your eye on amazon if interested.

I’m looking around at prices of 10Gig capable switches, with electrical RJ45 type normal ports and also SFP holes. The prices for netgear and to-link are not bad - multiple 1gig ports though plus one or two ten gig ports. Presuming these are intended for uplink or longer distance extension via optical. I’m interested in where we are now with 10G kit. A reasonably priced switch is only the half of it- need affordable 10gig NICs as well. I’m just looking for educational reasons; copying to and from client machines to local file servers is painful now, even with 1gig NICs and we need to remove a bottleneck.

I wonder about 40gig - does it exist in the affordable non stratospheric realm?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »

I find somewhere like https://www.hotukdeals.com/ a good place to keep track of offers - though you need the self control not to but lots of unnecessary stuff!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 11:05:40 AM »

Weaver, unless you have a suitable storage array, doesn't increasing the network speed just move the bottle neck to the drives?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 11:26:14 AM »

It would mean a storage array with huge RAM cache and of course you’re right, I was aware of that, it’ll only get you as far as the cache will handle requests. I had a storage controller card with a large amount of internal ram and two hard disks attached to it, in parallel, and the RAM made it very nice.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »

I’m looking around at prices of 10Gig capable switches, with electrical RJ45 type normal ports and also SFP holes. The prices for netgear and to-link are not bad - multiple 1gig ports though plus one or two ten gig ports. Presuming these are intended for uplink or longer distance extension via optical. I’m interested in where we are now with 10G kit. A reasonably priced switch is only the half of it- need affordable 10gig NICs as well. I’m just looking for educational reasons; copying to and from client machines to local file servers is painful now, even with 1gig NICs and we need to remove a bottleneck.
Take a look at the cost of filling the SFP holes  :(

You might consider looking at 10GBASE-T over copper  too.

My experience is limited - a new NAS came with dual Intel Pro/10GbE 10GBASE-T and autonegotiates happily with a 1Gb switch. I do not feel the need to start upgrading core machines to 10G. Nice, but too expensive, and in the case of my main NAS would mean sacrificing its only PCI slot which is already in use.

I have a personal down on Netgear. I have had my fingers burnt several times over the past few years.
  • Nighthawk X6 Smart Wifi Router (R8000) - one radio dies until rebooted.
  • GS724Tv4 ProSafe 24-port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch - only does passive LACP. Useless if the devices it is connected to require Active LACP.
  • Wi-Fi Range Extender EX2700 - unbelievably awkward to set up.
Their dumb switches still seem OK, but in future I will avoid anything of theirs with any "intelligence".

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2020, 11:29:03 AM »

I had a dumb switch - excellent. Never had any other experience with them though.
Pages: 1 [2]