Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sales in the new year à la Black Friday  (Read 1554 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Sales in the new year à la Black Friday
« on: December 30, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »

Will there be more notable sales around now or in the new year like the recent Black Friday most pleasing madness?

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Sales in the new year à la Black Friday
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »

do you not remember what happens in previous years?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 06:19:26 PM »

Black Friday seems to have replaced the traditional Boxing day sales when it comes to the best deals.

My brother is in retail and he had a massively busy Black Friday and don't anticipate much for new year other than perhaps the odd clearance.   
We were talking about it just the other day how we appear to have become Americanised and the best 'real' deals are now more likely to be on Black Friday - especially online.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 06:22:35 PM »

do you not remember what happens in previous years?

Obviously not, or else he wouldn't have asked would he? 
Aside from that its a reasonable enough topic starter, so I feel that comment wasn't really helpful.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 06:24:59 PM »

Obviously not, or else he wouldn't have asked would he? 
Aside from that its a reasonable enough topic starter, so I feel that comment wasn't really helpful.

would it not have been helpful for the thread starter to offer their own opinions as a topic starter rather than just asking a question and offering nothing else?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 08:09:07 PM »

What’s Black Friday?

I’m not American, and I’m not under 14 years old, which might explain my ignorance of this. :blush:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 09:03:35 PM »

would it not have been helpful for the thread starter to offer their own opinions as a topic starter rather than just asking a question and offering nothing else?

He asked a question.   I repeat, your comment(s) were and are not helpful.
People are entitled to ask questions in the chat section, but unwarranted and snide comments are not appreciated and it's not the first time you've done this. 

I suggest you take a hint.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 11:52:21 PM »

I was looking for some tips as to whereo look on the web, if there should be any forthcoming shopping opportunities. I don’t know what happened in previous years, it’s not that I don’t remember, I don’t know. I never leave my bedroom apart from to go to the bathroom next  door and I am under the influence if extremely strong drugs which means that my memory and concentration are shot. So that’s a bit of background for chenks, who didn’t supply me with any helpful info.

@7lm Black Friday is an American thing that seems to have spread on to the web over here now too; sales during the last week of November and into the start of December. I got a lot of very good bargains from amazon during this period a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:56:01 PM by Weaver »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 08:30:57 AM »

Black Friday is an American thing that seems to have spread on to the web over here now too; sales during the last week of November and into the start of December. I got a lot of very good bargains from amazon during this period a few weeks ago.

i believe in the UK "black friday" was generally applied to Friday the 13th, and has nothing to do with a shopping day.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »

Given the huge number of adverts on TV, in papers, all over websites and numerous emails about "Black Friday deals" I suspect people professing not to know what it's about are being deliberately obtuse.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »

Given the huge number of adverts on TV, in papers, all over websites and numerous emails about "Black Friday deals" I suspect people professing not to know what it's about are being deliberately obtuse.

Or maybe, joking a little bit?  That was my intention at least.  Sincerest apols to Weaver if my humour crossed into sarcasm. :)

But I can honestly say I had never heard of it until 2 or 3 years ago and even this year I couldn’t have told you when it was, other than to hazard a guess it might fall on a Friday.   I don’t get much email spam from retailers as I unsubscribe such channels whenever possible, and just delete those that get through without reading. And I don’t see many TV ads as I generally record commercial channels before watching, so I can skip the ads on playback. 

Joking aside, Wikipedia’s article suggests that popularity in the US hinged largely upon timing in relation to their Thanksgiving celebrations, which are not really a thing here, at least not in my mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Black Friday is an informal name for the Friday following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, which is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. The day after Thanksgiving has been regarded as the beginning of the United States Christmas shopping season since 1952, although the term "Black Friday" did not become widely used until more recent decades

Interestingly, same article also makes it sound like appearance in UK is result of deliberate manipulation by US companies, rather than just natural drift in social behaviour...

Since the start of the 21st century, there have been attempts by retailers with origins in the United States to introduce a retail "Black Friday" to other countries around the world. In several countries, local retailers have attempted to promote the day to remain competitive with US-based online retailers.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 10:46:20 AM »

There's also Cyber Monday, which seems to be just an attempt to extend the Black Friday sales period.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 01:27:34 PM »

> result of deliberate manipulation by US companies, rather than just natural drift in social behaviour...
Absolutely, I was just thinking the same myself. I just took 7LM’S question at face value, a genuine request for information, so no offence taken. :-)

I have noticed that amazon have yet another sale on right now, which finishes today, 31st dec, that is, at midnight.

Fancy an Apple Watch? 300 quid off on some models! Some are really hideous. Might be very handy for travelling in London but I don’t think I could cope with the ugliness, the hellish prices and the awful battery life.

I was wondering about sales elsewhere and sales in the New Year?

(Tonight is Oidhche Challainn and nothing traditional happens today, although my wife is going to a party tonight hosted by some of our English neighbours. Tomorrow is when the fun starts in the village, traditionally a camanachd (Eng. ‘shinty’) match down in the lowest field. Then much drinking tomorrow night.)

Since I will be stuck all alone, I was wondering about some shopping and wanted some tips as to where on the web to look. Because if all the drugs, I find searching for things, googling etc, quite bemusing sometimes, but not too bad today. I suppose I could try John Lewis today and tomorrow.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »

Steady now Weaver, I'm very sensitive to criticism of my favourite toy, the Apple Watch.   :P

A few actual scenarios that I regularly appreciate.

* Apple pay.  In particular, after filling my car with fuel on a bitterly cold day, causing fingers to turn numb from holding the pump.  A flick of the watch is so much easier than signing, or even entering PIN, with these numb fingers.   Also good for purchasing beer, leaving the other hand dedicated to drinking it.

* Sending texts whilst walking.   You barely need to slow down, just lift the wrist and, e.g, "Hey Siri, text my other half saying I'll be back around 7:15".  And whilst Sri may sometimes garble things a bit it's actually surprisingly reliable.  You get the chance to cancel it anyway if not happy with what was composed.

* Checking live departure info when travelling by train.  The National Rail App is at least as up to date as the station platform signs themselves, and much more useful than a phone when huddled among a bustling crowd in a station.

* Getting alerts during air travel, such as identifying the baggage carousel number, when my hands are pretty much occupied carrying cabin baggage.  Admittedly that one doesn't always work, but cool when it does.

No probs at all with battery life, it always sees me through the day, usually still around 60-70% when I put it back on the charger at bedtime.  But I do conceded... it's ugly:D

Interested though, who's discounting them?  Mine (the first version) only cost £340 in the first place, direct from Apple.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »

Well there's bound to be some New Years Sales, and then we'd have Amazon Prime day (July I think) before we know.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: [1] 2