Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DG834GT unofficial firmware  (Read 29408 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
DG834GT unofficial firmware
« on: July 06, 2008, 07:50:17 AM »

I've been having a play with this unofficial firmware for the DG834GT. It's got nothing to do with Sky by the way, but the Sky users forum has been talking about it. The firmware is based on the official Netgear firmware but with extra features added.

The great thing about this firmware is the amount of extra tweaking and information which it offers in the web interface. See the snapshots of the Advanced ADSL Settings page and part of the diagnostics page below. You can also configure a whole lot of TCP/IP parameters (which I know nothing about, but they look interesting for someone who does understand it).

As always, if you want to play with this firmware, you do so at your own risk.

[attachment deleted by admin]
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DG834GT unofficial firmware
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »

Thanks for supplying those images Eric

Ive heard about the DGTeam firmware from elsewhere,  so it was very interesting to see the interface options available.

Looking at them, they are options that you can make within the Broadcom CLI (modemoptions string for eg), but that makes it so much easier when you can just tick a box :)

Funny enough I said to someone only last week that I'd love to try a GT on this line with adsl2+
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:40:44 PM »

Yes, I'm sure that the web interface doesn't do anything which can't already be done via the CLI, but as you say, it's a lot easier in a GUI. One thing I didn't mention by the way, is that noise margin tweaking sticks; I believe that with the official firmware the tweaking doesn't survive a reboot, but it does with the DGTeam firmware.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »

>> I believe that with the official firmware the tweaking doesn't survive a reboot, but it does with the DGTeam firmware.

No it doesnt :/

>> but it does with the DGTeam firmware.

Now that is very useful  :thumbs:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

DrTeeth

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »

I am currently using the 'other' 3rd party firmware on my DG834GT, the latest Uber version. Seems to have the same options and SNR also sticks.

Cheers

DrT
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 11:54:02 PM »

Excellent - thanks for the info :)

Now I really do want a DG834GT to play with  ;D
-----

james_2k

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »

any similar firmware for the younger brother? :) 834g v4, owing to similar chipsets

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately.
  Eric

DrTeeth

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »

any similar firmware for the younger brother? :) 834g v4, owing to similar chipsets

But it is tweakable with DMT :D.

Cheers

DrT
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

james_2k

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 01:09:53 PM »

But it is tweakable with DMT :D.

Cheers

DrT
aye, great utility :)

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 03:39:22 PM »

RouterStats also supports SNR tweaking on the v4...

JAD

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:09 AM »

What I really want for this router is QOS. I'm running a voip adapter off it and there is zero QOS. Does anybody know if with the latest firmware I can just run the DG834GT as just a wired access point minus firewall etc? I can get a cheap wired qos router/modem and then use the DG834GT as the wireless part.

Anybody know?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 07:25:57 AM »

I don't think there is any support for that. It's not mentioned in the description of the DGTeam firmware, and that's the most advanced firmware available as far as I know.
  Eric

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »

Real IP QoS on an ADSL router in the UK is a waste of time as in order for it to work it requires the co-operation of your ISP - and its only that simple in cases where your ISP isn't using IPStream. I don't think that the standard IPStream products ISPs use have any method whereby prioritising types of traffic is possible until it hits the BT central but things may have changed since I last looked.

There are some fairly crude methods of IP QoS (mostly involving rate-limiting everything else) which may help if the contention is local (ie other users at your house) but there is no way that you can prioritise certain traffic types without the co-operation of your ISP. You'd have thought that ISPs with their own infrastructure (Be/O2, Sky/UKO etc) would implement this but no they don't. Witless doesn't quite cover the "technical" management in these companies  ::)

IME real IP QoS options on ADSL routers in the UK are a waste of firmware space as nothing between the exchange and the BT central is going to honour any priority tags etc. Should you be on LLU then its still a waste of time there too :)

YMMV of course.

JAD

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »

Thanks for the replies. :)

It's actually IP QoS or even port QoS I'd like. I'm in NZ and my isp doesn't implement any Qos at their end. I'd mostly like to be able to put the static IP of the ATA adapter (I'm using a PAP2T) ahead of all other traffic, then maybe prioritize other things like html next and so on.

As it is now, downloading a file can kill my phone. It could be a bit hard to slam the breaks on our wireless laptops in different rooms when the phone rings.

I like the way the Dynalink rta1025w / Netcomm NB6Plus4W does this but I don't really want to change routers as this one has given me such good service in all other regards.

I think I'm hoping a miracle will occur and someone will make a firmware with this feature.
I'm kind of debating whether to put up with it or buy one of the ones I mentioned and keep this one as a backup or even sell it to recoup some money.
Pages: [1] 2