Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Utterly confused  (Read 5662 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Utterly confused
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 01:18:19 AM »

Mainly because in 2025, there will be no ADSL...

As discussed here, in a thread started by Weaver, that statement is not correct.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 08:45:35 AM »

I read that link to refer to BT's Fibre Broadband as FTTC, with FTTP supplied by Virgin Media...and the website seems to have not been updated since 2015 ???

Am I missing something?

It is way out of date and they get the facts wrong, Virgins Project Lightning launched in mid 2015, so I very much doubt they were supplying true FTTP there in 2015 it would have been via coaxial cable. They also state you could get 100Mbps via FTTC, then go on to imply you can only get up to 38Mbps, they clearly don't know what they are talking about.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »

That's fine - you know way more than I do - no idea how you find out that information!

Guess I'm waiting for Openreach / housing association...  :( :'( :fingers:

You wouldn't think so, judging from my performance here  ;) :lol: :lol:

There are quite a few systems that can be viewed to determine what plant is located where ??. For instance, your internal DP (the white box in one of your photo's), appears on one system, but not another ... the one that would have told me instantly the required info I needed  ::).

But the penny dropped when I realised that the main system in use for both the external and internal workforce (ie: surveyors, planners), is relatively new and doesn't contain the data from your catchment area. Ergo, I then went looking at an older data-base and hey-presto, all was revealed.

There is sooooooooooooooo much data being input/extracted by tens of thousands of people, it is impossible to hold it all on one platform. The tricky bit is knowing where to look.  :) :)

Absolutely your next move is to have your premises re-surveyed by OR (via your ISP).   

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »

I'm still not sure Openreach have a record of where my line is jumpered in the PCP after the LAST time they disconnected me and hooked my E side up to some Talk Talk customer.  ???

The Talk Talk customer got reconnected in a day or two as a line fault, my pair was left floating in the wind for a week because it was raised as a broadband fault.  >:( 

It only got fixed because eventually the engineer turned up to my house (as he had been given zero information) so I FINALLY had a chance to explain what the fault was, rather than them using pure guesswork and getting it wrong.

I do feel sorry for Openreach engineers, it seems they are expected to perform miracles with zero information sometimes.  Its particularly frustrating when both me and my ISP knew more than the engineer did about the situation, because Openreach didn't pass anything on.  :no:  As I was on Origin at the time in the early days of the ISP, I literally had the CEO camped at my PCP at one point trying to catch an engineer to explain the situation, but they never turned up on time.

In their defence, I think I was still on Digital Region and it seemed Openreach was ill prepared for that kind of LLU setup so EVERYONE was confused.  But it always comes down to poor record keeping it seems.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »

It is way out of date and they get the facts wrong, Virgins Project Lightning launched in mid 2015, so I very much doubt they were supplying true FTTP there in 2015 it would have been via coaxial cable. They also state you could get 100Mbps via FTTC, then go on to imply you can only get up to 38Mbps, they clearly don't know what they are talking about.

Yep. They trialed FTTP in Papworth Everard in 2014 and started deployment in 2016 having started HFC in-fill in Manchester and Leeds, before Lightning announcement, in 2015.

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 03:00:11 AM »

So, ADSL2+ is working and my FritzBox 7530 is reporting I'm getting

5887 kbit/s down
946 kbit/s up

Which is more than I was expecting (2.5 down, 0.5 up.)

Abyone wanna see my DSL line stats?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2020, 05:48:50 AM »

Yes please  ;D

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2020, 05:34:57 PM »

Yes please

See screenshot attached.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:47:24 PM by ssmmdd »

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 05:57:50 PM »

That is really HIGH attenuation though getting 6mbps is pretty good for it,, how far do you think the exchange is ~?

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 06:08:52 PM »

That is really HIGH attenuation though getting 6mbps is pretty good for it,, how far do you think the exchange is ~?
Apparently I'm 1.72km away in a straight line, so I'd at least double that.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2020, 06:44:48 PM »

That attenuation seems off to me.  My line was 3.9KM with 48.2 attenuation with part of that over aluminium. (at least that's what Openreach calculated)

There also AFAIK shouldn't be nearly as big a gap between upstream and downstream attenuation, although its not like you can always trust what the modem reports.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:47:47 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 07:02:52 PM »

yes I think this attenuation is not correct at all, can you post the modulation settings in your router?

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 07:25:00 PM »

I'm not sure this Fritzbox gives me the modulation settings.

Or if it does, I don't know how to get it.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 07:34:57 PM »

I do not know about Fritzbox but I think it will be in the line settings, note that there may be some settings that needs to be hidden like service username.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:22:35 PM by mofa2020 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]